Thank you for standing up for us Christians

Editor:

I hadn’t even gotten halfway through Alyssa Reynolds’ column – “Praying for Tolerance” – when I decided that I needed to write in to thank you. As someone who identifies as a Christian, I find myself walking a careful line each day. Although I have the human right to believe in what I believe and to worship as my beliefs call me to, it saddens me to say that I often forgo particular words, phrases or practices in my day-to-day public life for fear of attack.

I understand that many have personal and very real reasons to harbor negative feelings toward Christians, and I would not deny those individuals the right to feel how they feel. However, I am exhausted from being persecuted for the wrongdoings of a few. If I want to pray in a public place, I should be able to do so peacefully and without fear. 

So a big thank you for writing your article and for the bravery it must have taken to do so – whether or not you identify as a Christian yourself. I do not doubt that you’ll receive a number of rude and possibly even hateful, letters, e-mails, etc., so I hope you know that at least one person appreciated your words.

Caitlin Estalilla

Vet med office assistant 2

-The opinions expressed in this letter to the editor are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.