Senators postpone vote

The ASWSU Senate at its meeting on Wednesday, where it heard arguments from two candidates for all-campus senator.

The ASWSU Senate postponed selecting an all-campus senator after failing three times to reach a two-thirds vote at its meeting on Wednesday.

Seth Hansen, Derrick Wallace and Yu Sum Cheung ran for the position. Upon the first vote, Hansen earned nine of 17 votes, while Wallace earned seven and Cheung earned one. The second vote resulted in 10 votes for Wallace and seven for Hansen.

The Senate then gave Hansen and Wallace one minute each to argue their cases and moved to executive session to discuss the decision. After extending the session twice, the senators voted a third time, nine for Hansen and seven for Wallace. One senator left after the executive session. Standard operating procedures mandate the vote be postponed until the next meeting, so the Senate will revisit the appointment at its meeting next week.

As all-campus senator last year, Wallace said he spent the entire semester reviewing the Senate bylaws to fix formatting, grammar and inconsistencies. He argued his experience and positivity made him more fit for the job.

Hansen argued his experience working with students through his involvement in two residence halls and as an orientation counselor drove his passion to pursue leadership in ASWSU. He argued his fresh energy and desire to help students better themselves made him more fit for the job.

Also during the meeting, Chief Justice Eden Kelshaw reported the judicial board spent the past month combing through its bylaws and suggested changes. Kelshaw recommended mandatory office hours for delegates, a clause to make Senate meetings weekly – as they almost always are – and not hold Senate meetings during dead week and finals week. She also recommended the addition of a court clerk.

The clerk would write minutes during hearings and meetings, update files and gather signatures when the judicial board makes decisions. This position should free up the Justices to give their full attention to cases rather than writing minutes, Kelshaw said. The Senate will consider the recommendations through the presidential revision committee and rule on them later.

The Senate also heard two funding requests.

Senator Jordyn Beckford acted as a representative from the Student Alumni Ambassadors to request $2,000 for the homecoming bonfire. Senator Josue Zuniga, chair of the Finance Committee, recommended the Senate provide $1,600. All but two senators, who are members of the Student Alumni Ambassadors, voted to approve the request.

Two representatives from Wazzu Racing requested $2,250 to cover the cost of registering for the annual Formula SAE competition, in which students build their own Formula 1 style racecar to race in the international competition.

Last year, 16 students attended the competition but some could not go due to financial limitations, the representatives said. This year, 25 students are interested in attending. The Senate unanimously voted in favor of providing Wazzu Racing the full $2,250 to cover the competition registration cost.