Baseball falls in game two

Barison records seven strikeouts, one hit, no runs scored in five innings

ABIGAIL LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-freshman right-handed pitcher Connor Barison pitches against Stanford on March 31 at Bailey-Brayton Field.

Donovan Blas

WSU baseball lost game two to the University of Hawaiʻi 4-2, giving up more runs than hits allowed to the Rainbow Warriors.

The Cougars (2-4) had five players go 2-4 from the plate but struggled bringing runs in, leaving a total of seven runners on base.  

Freshman pitcher Ethan Ross struggled from the mound totaling one strikeout and 4 walks, which allowed two hits and four runs scored through three innings pitched.

However, sophomore pitcher Connor Barison came in to relieve for Ross and delivered seven strikeouts, one hit and no runs scored.

In the first, the Rainbow Warriors went to work quickly, getting a runner on to third with a hit-by-pitch and two groundouts. The run was brought in by a wild pitch from Ross making the game 1-0.

WSU looked to answer back in the second with a leadoff single from junior outfielder Collin Montez. However, a fly out and double play would help Hawaii close the inning.

In the bottom of the second, Cougars defense would struggle again by advancing a runner to second off an error from freshman center fielder Brady Hill.

A walk and wild pitch from Ross led to runners on second and third. A sacrifice fly would bring in a run making the game 2-0 before closing the inning.

The Rainbow Warriors looked to add to their lead in the bottom of the third leading off with runners on first and second through a single and walk.

A runner reached first from an error by junior left fielder Justin Van De Brake making the bases loaded.

An RBI fielder’s choice would get a runner out at second but not before bringing in a run. On the next play, Hawaii would hit another fielder’s choice bringing in another run which gave Hawaii a 4-0 lead.

In the fourth, WSU made a pitching change and brought in Barison who gave up one hit and zero run and shut the Rainbow Warriors down the remainder of the game.

In top of the eighth, the Cougars finally got something going getting a runner on third due to a single and wild pitch.

An RBI single from junior designated hitter Gianni Tomasi put him at first and brought in a run making the game 4-1.

A single from sophomore first baseman Kyle Manzardo put runners on first and second. Junior third baseman Jack Smith reached on an error by second baseman that brought in a run making the game 4-2.

WSU’s last chance to score was stopped as the Rainbow Warriors gained three consecutive outs to the game 4-2.