Reducing course costs

Representatives from University Affairs discussed at the ASWSU Senate meeting on Wednesday plans to reduce the cost of classroom materials through a program called OpenStax, which could save the university more than $400,000 per year.

The program implemented at 15 other institutions, provides free, open-source textbooks to universities. It saved students a total of $42 million over the course of the 2015-16 academic year, according to a press release from the Office of the Provost.

The University Affairs representatives also promoted a BYOD (Bring-Your-Own-Device) program which would implement a universal program to replace Top Hat or iClicker with a more accessible, more affordable program.

They also outlined goals for altering advising across the university to improve consistency. They aim to create a new system that better connects students to advisers and is more self-sufficient.

Representatives from Student Life discussed their development of a Mental Health Awareness Week from Nov. 1-4. The goal of the Awareness Week is to combat fears of mental illness and educate students on how to support people with mental illnesses. Student Life is working closely with Health & Wellness to develop the educational elements of the program.

Plans for the Mental Health Awareness Week include a symbolic representation of victims of suicide and students suffering from mental illnesses.

Student Life also outlined the foundations of safety initiatives regarding traffic safety in Pullman and the highways around Pullman.

The Senate appointed Kevin Schilling as senator for the College of Arts and Science. Schilling has served on the ASWSU election board and executive council and said one of his major goals is to increase awareness of sexual assault and prevention programs on campus.

The Senate appointed Girish Chummun as senator for the Carson College of Business.

“I have the passion to make a change and be the change,” Chummun said, “and I have a passion to lead.”

As senator, Chummun intends to focus on strengthening the relationships between students and advisers. He particularly wants to address students’ concerns on group advising to achieve higher attendance and greater student satisfaction.

The Senate appointed Taylor McGriff for freshman delegate.

“My goal as delegate is to insure freshmen have a nice, easy transition into school life,” McGriff said.

The Senate appointed Savannah Rogers for Honors delegate. As president of Honors Hall and now senator, she said she wants to encourage outreach and involvement of Honors students.

“I have the drive to go out and help this community and make Pullman the best community it can be,” Rogers said.

The Senate delayed the appointment of two senators for uncertified students to open the position to more applicants, and the appointment of a second freshman delegate until the next meeting.

The Senate did not appoint a senator for the College of Education due to lack of applications. Applications are still open.