Senate confirms International Student Council president

The ASWSU Senate voted to confirm Kevin Lindquist as the International Student Council president and Parker Blekkenk as associate director of legislative affairs at its meeting Wednesday. There are five vacant senator positions still open for this academic year.

The ASWSU Senate voted 14-0-1 at its meeting Wednesday to confirm Kevin Lindquist as the International Student Council (ISC) president.

Lindquist said he was able to utilize his goals and his past experiences with diversity to make him the best fit for the position. Being a transfer student from Bellevue college this past year, Lindquist said he saw the immense diversity of WSU and was inspired to get involved in the culture here.

He said he admires the diversity at WSU, and will push to “continue that stride” as the ISC president. An international business major, Lindquist grew up in a diverse environment and had a best friend from Bulgaria, all of which he said will help him in this position.

The ASWSU also unanimously confirmed Parker Blekkenk as the associate director of legislative affairs. A sophomore studying neuroscience, Blekkenk said he has a “unique set of experiences,” from participating in different campaigns to lobbying with a non-profit organization at the University of Montana, which have prepared him for the job. He wishes to engage young people in civil affairs, and to increase voter turnout on campus.

Chief Justice Eden Kelshaw proposed a review of Senate bylaws in order for ASWSU to work more efficiently. The Senate was also reminded that there are five vacant senator positions open to those who are interested in a leadership position.