Fighting hunger and homelessness

The Center for Civic Engagement (CCE) at WSU is helping fight against hunger this week as part of the National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week.

Erin McIlraith, marketing and communications coordinator for the CCE, said the center is putting on several events to help educate the community on the issue and promote student involvement in the fight against hunger and homelessness.

“This is something that’s impacting people all around us and we just don’t see it,” McIlraith said.

Teaching about poverty and what it looks like against common stereotypes is important, she said.

CCE started observing National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week in 2003.

“I think it’s a really good week to have selected,” McIlraith said. “It really allows us to get to the roots of this issue and make improvements in our society and help the people that are all around us and are living in poverty every day.”

This year, the center will host information tables throughout the week and a public discussion forum tomorrow from 12-1 p.m in Butches’ Den. The forum will host public discussion on hunger, poverty and improving lives of children in poverty.

Tom’s Turkey Drive this Friday and Saturday is the largest event this week. The center partnered with the Council on Aging and Human Services in Colfax for the event and welcomes students on both days.

“We’ll be putting together baskets and packages for families around the Palouse who cannot afford to purchase turkeys and other supplies, so they can have a Thanksgiving as well,” McIlraith said.

Students can go online to sign up for any time slot during the two-day event.

More events like the public forum and food drive event are listed on the center’s CougSync page online.

The CCE is also holding regular service opportunities for students to sign up for if they are staying in Pullman over Thanksgiving break. However, service opportunities will not be on Nov. 28-29 due to the university holiday.