Women’s Transit resuming service soon

Volunteer drivers with Women’s Transit, a safety service which offers free transport to people who are not comfortable walking alone at night, gave rides to nearly 1,700 students and Pullman citizens last semester.

According to the Women’s Transit website, the organization provides program volunteers with training in communication, crisis management and sexual assault risk reduction – the program’s primary goal.

“We believe,” the website states, “that students who feel safe getting to and from classes, work and social events are far more likely to succeed than students who are scared to simply live their lives while at school.”

Women’s Transit has provided rides for more than 35 years. Women’s Transit Coordinator Sarah Smith said that all volunteers submit a background check, a driving record check and a short drive test. Dispatcher positions are also filled on a volunteer basis.

“One of the main misconceptions is that you have to drive to volunteer with us,” Smith said, “but you can also do dispatch.”

Dispatchers manage the requests and work to connect drivers to people who need rides.

Smith explained that Women’s Transit is not just for women, but people of any gender who feel unsafe. This semester it will be up and running on Sept. 19, Smith said.

“I’d like to start sooner,” she said, “but the main thing is getting volunteers, which is why they’re so crucial.”

Women’s Transit currently has 80 drivers, but they can accept more than 160.

Anyone interested in volunteering with Women’s Transit can visit their application on CougSync or contact Smith via the email address on the organization’s website.

Women’s Transit cannot provide rides to commercial locations or to the hospital, but encourages people in emergency situations to call 911. Drivers also cannot travel outside Pullman city limits.

Women’s Transit operates from 8 p.m. to midnight Sunday through Thursday, and 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday. During these hours people in need of a safe ride home can contact Women’s Transit by calling or texting WSU-267-SAFE.

Reporting by Dana Jensen