Letter to the editor: The Bookie’s history of excellence

OERs (open educational resources) are still far from being implemented at WSU as a whole, but in the meantime there are plenty of options to save on course materials. 

I am writing to you today as a student, a reader and as chairperson of The Students Book Corporation’s Board of Directors, the student-owned entity which oversees The Bookie as well as CoreTech.

It is with much joy and gratitude that I have the pleasure of being aligned with such a giving organization that has been a true partner with the Washington State University community for over 100 years.

So, I was taken aback after reading a misinformed column about The Bookie that recently appeared in The Daily Evergreen.

I feel compelled to clarify what we are about and to share with you how we serve students.

Since 1914, The Bookie has helped students thrive by ardently acting in accordance to its mission: we are dedicated to providing “those goods and services that support the academic mission of Washington State University and enhance the academic experience.”

WSU students are much more than customers of The Bookie.

In fact, our students are our owners, whose shares are held in trust by the WSU Board of Regents.

Every year, the Regents appoint the Students Book Corporation’s board of directors, who oversee The Bookie and CoreTech, with a student majority leadership team.

We exist because of students and for the students.

Today more than ever, we are seeking out new ways to enhance our students’ academic experience.

Beyond the convenience of our WSU apparel, gifts, accessories, supplies or café, The Bookie is proud to provide students with a variety of textbook options, including rental, used, digital and new at the best prices possible.

The bookstore is competitively priced – and in many cases – the more affordable option.

Continually looking for ways to save students money, The Bookie now offers the new Price Match program.

We offer price matching for any textbook sold directly by Amazon.com or bn.com, new or used.

Additionally, The Bookie offers a 10 percent point-of-sale discount as well as significant rental discounts in an effort to help students.

That collective discount equates to nearly $2 million per year of savings for students.

We are here to serve Cougs. Students can trust that every dollar spent at The Bookie is equitably re-allocated for their benefit.

Over the last 10 years, we have dispersed dividends of nearly $870,000 to student organizations across all WSU campuses, through the Associated Students of Washington State University (ASWSU) and the Graduate and Professional Students Association (GPSA).

The results of our financial support can be readily identified in successful projects that directly benefit students such as the WSU Green Bikes, our campus crosswalks, and of course the Compton Union Building (CUB), where we became the foundational anchor tenant at the request of the students.

In addition to being instrumental in the creation of the CUB, by becoming its anchor tenant, we have significantly decreased mandatory student fees for students.

One of WSU’s greatest strengths is the loyalty and devotion of current and past students.

Indeed, it is that loyalty that has allowed the Students Book Corporation to exist for over a century – and benefit so many students.

Go Cougs!