Many spring events canceled, postponed in wake of COVID-19

Commencement not canceled, WSU libraries closed until further notice

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen news editor

Following Gov. Jay Inslee’s ban on large gatherings, WSU canceled, postponed or modified most events scheduled for the spring semester. Certain locations on campus will also be closed or will operate during shortened business hours.

This article will be updated with changes to events and hours as more information becomes available.

Campus-wide changes

Commencement has not yet been canceled, said Phil Weiler, vice president for university marketing and communications. If changes are made, they will be announced to the entire WSU system, though changes may be different for each campus.

All WSU libraries are closed until further notice, Dean of Libraries Jay Starratt said. They will reopen when public health officials say it is safe to do so. 

Starratt said some librarians are still working out of the library, but others are working remotely. 

Some remote services will still be available, including off-campus materials delivery and chat support with a librarian. Librarians will mail materials to patrons and clean and quarantine them when they are returned, Starratt said.

The Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art is closed for the rest of the semester, according to a press release. The museum will continue to provide virtual tours, highlights of collections and links to art resources via social media, executive director Robin Held said.

The Masters of Fine Arts thesis reception, previously scheduled for April 3 at the museum, will be held online but details are still being determined, Held said.

Mom’s Weekend and all associated events are canceled, according to an announcement on March 13. 

The Mom’s Weekend Macklemore concert is postponed. If it occurs at a later date, ticket holders can attend the rescheduled concert or request a refund, according to an email from Beasley Coliseum.

Artist and activist Favianna Rodriguez’s keynote speech, previously scheduled for March 31 at the Elson S. Floyd Cultural Center, is postponed, according to an announcement from the center.

Showcase events including Academic Showcase, SURCA and Crimson Reads are canceled, according to an announcement. The Three-Minute Thesis competition and GPSA Research Exposition will be held online.

CAHNRS

The CAHNRS Student Awards Banquet is canceled, according to the college website. It was previously scheduled for April 25. 

All other upcoming events are postponed or will be determined.

College of Arts and Sciences

All WSU School of Music performances for the rest of the semester are canceled, according to the school’s website. A livestream will be available for certain individual and small ensemble performances.

Carson College of Business

Advising and tutoring services in Todd Hall are closed to walk-ins. Meetings can be scheduled for Zoom, telephone or email. 

Registration cafes, drop-in advising and career advising are still being held via Zoom, said Carson Center director Suzi Billington. 

Carson College advising at Alive! Transfer Orientation has also been moved to Zoom, Billington said.

The Dean’s Office in Todd 570 will remain open, according to a notice posted in Todd. 

All summer 2020 study abroad programs through the Carson College are canceled. Fall 2020 programs have not yet been changed, according to the college website.

Murrow College of Communication

All Murrow-sponsored trips to New York, Alaska, Guatemala, Greece and Uruguay are suspended due to travel restrictions, according to an announcement on the college website. 

The 45th Murrow Symposium, previously scheduled for March 22-24, is canceled. 

College of Veterinary Medicine 

The College of Veterinary Medicine spring conference, Iverson Bell Summit and Discover Veterinary Medicine events are canceled, according to the college website

The Bustad Lecture given by Steven Niemi previously scheduled for March 27 is postponed.

This article has been updated to say the GPSA Research Exposition is being held online and to include comments from Robin Held and Suzi Billington.