Eating healthy is a luxury some can not afford

Editor:

The recent article on obesity demonstrates a glaring lack of understanding of how the world works.

Healthy food is expensive. Preparing healthy meals from fresh ingredients is time consuming.

As a full-time college student, time isn’t something I have a lot of.

There’s a reason the McDonald’s Dollar Menu is popular with the college crowd; it’s quick and we can afford it. If you ask anyone on the street if they would rather eat a fresh, healthy diet, or something fatty and unhealthy almost everyone would prefer to eat healthier, but because of a lack of time or money, it simply isn’t a viable option. And I’m only talking from the perspective of a single college student; imagine if I had to get groceries for an entire family plus children.

And how about exercise? With all of the money I’ve spent on fresh, healthy food, I can’t afford to go to the Rec or get a gym membership. I could ride a bike; oh wait, that costs money that I don’t have. I guess I’ll take a walk, but not too far since I have to get back to do homework, laundry and cook a healthy dinner. These aren’t “excuses I’m making to be fat and miserable” these are legitimate aspects of my life that make losing weight difficult.

When mommy and daddy stop paying for your groceries, maybe this will make sense. And if you care so much about complete strangers’ health, why don’t you buy them gym memberships?

Angeline Mezzulo

Sophomore zoology major

-The opinions expressed in this letter to the editor are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.