Shooting for the top

Sophomore Morgan Cathrea rows during a WSU practice on the Snake River, Tuesday, Oct. 29.

Daniel Rodriguez Evergreen Rowing reporter

Athletes are sometimes portrayed as individuals with obsessive body building habits and a lack of a social life, but not for sophomore rower Morgan Cathrea.

Growing up, Cathrea had an interest obtaining her black belt in Karate. However, she was only able to acquire a brown belt before changing high schools, resulting in a change of sport.

“I started Karate first and then moved schools, so it became too much,” she said.

Encouraged to try rowing by her mother, also a rower, and a new school friend, Cathrea decided to give up Karate to try the sport.

A transfer student from Michigan State University and native of Victoria, B.C., Cathrea is excited to begin a new chapter at Washington State. She’s experienced a smooth transition and has high goals for herself and the team.

Her move to the Palouse stemmed from a desire to be closer to home.

“I knew a lot of people here,” Cathrea said. “Here it feels like I’m part of a family and not just a number. My transition has been really nice; people are really friendly, which makes it easy for me to feel at home.” 

Still with her many interests, Cathrea still has a life goal she hopes she can pursue.

“I would probably be traveling the world, to experience different cultures,” she said.

Adding to her talent list, she said she also enjoys the performing arts. She participated in choir for four years as part of the chamber choir, vocal jazz and musical theater.

WSU isn’t the end of the road for the sophomore rower, though. Cathrea said she plans on attending medical school at the University of British Columbia and wants to continue her rowing career with the Canadian National Team.

In the meantime, her ultimate goal for this rowing season is to make it to the nationals again.

“I want to hopefully make it to the top varsity eight boat, do very well in the Pac-12 and then continue to do well in the NCAAs,” Cathrea said.