CJ Allen continues to headline for WSU track

Junior high-jumper Cole Smith competes in his event during the WSU Indoor Open on Jan. 23.

Two record breaking Cougars duke it out at the 37Th Sun Angel Classic meet at Joe Sellah Track Saturday for a race of a lifetime.

WSU junior CJ Allen and WSU record-holder and US Champion, Jeshua Anderson met for a race to remember in Tempe, Arizona on ASU campus. Allen placed third overall in the fourth heat against Anderson.

He moved to sixth-fastest in the WSU all time-records and into the top 15 fastest in the world to date. The Cougars also competed at the Spokane Community College’s Ninth Annual Washington versus Region Meet (WAR IX).

Allen finished with personal record time of 50.16 seconds in the 400m hurdles falling behind Anderson who won the race with the top time in the world of 48.92 seconds, followed by Texas A&M sophomore Robert Grant in a time of 49.73 seconds.

WSU freshman Ja’Maun Charles ran the 100m dash with a personal record time of 10.59 seconds for the third time this season and placed fifth. Charles returned later to the track to make another personal record in the 200m dash with a time of 21.39 seconds for fourth place. WSU senior Terrance Chambers also ran with Charles in the 200m and finished with a time of 21.39 for sixth place.

On the women’s team, WSU junior Liz Harper ran the 100m hurdles finishing with an impressive 13.88 seconds naming her the 13th best on Saturday. She also jumped 5.90m in the long jump event, only four inches below her personal record for ninth.

In the 4×100 relay Premiere section, WSU sophomore Zach Smith, Charles, Chambers and WSU sophomore Jonnie Green placed eighth with a time of 40.59 seconds.

WSU senior Dominique Keel ran in the 400m dash and finished with a time of 54.88 seconds to take seventh place with her teammate, WSU senior Christiana Ekelem taking eighth place with a personal record time of 55.04 seconds. Keel finished as the runner-up in the 200m dash with a time of 24.29 seconds with WSU freshman Regyn Gaffney taking sixth place in 24.73 seconds.

At WAR IX, WSU junior McKenna Hogan won the women’s long jump event with a personal record of 5.40m with WSU senior Essence White, who finished second with a mark of 5.39m. WSU freshman Kaitlin Krouse won the discus throw with a personal record of 45.32. For the men’s WSU discus throwers, Cameron Brink took first with a personal record of 47.07.

The Cougars will compete again for a series of meets on April 13 and 14 at the Mt. SAC Combined Events in Azusa, California and April 14-15 at the Mt. SAC Relays in Norwalk, California.

Reporting by Jamie Jones

• CJ Allen continues to headline for WSU track

Co Ed

WSU men’s, women’s teams compete in Pac-12 Cross Country Championships

Co Ed

Cross country competes in upcoming Pac-12 Championships

Co Ed

WSU cross country competes in two meets over weekend

Co Ed

Cross country competes twice over this weekend

Club Sports

Fencing club challenges members physically, mentally

Club Sports

Badminton club challenges members

Co Ed

Cross country holds Alumni ‘Rust Buster’ Open

Club Sports

Wrestling club sets new goals

Co Ed

Men’s XC ranked No. 13 nationally

Co Ed

Cross country holds Alumni Open in Colfax