Wardsworth sets fifth-best hammer mark in WSU track history

As if shutting out the competition wasn’t enough, WSU redshirt sophomore Katie Wardsworth made school history Saturday at the Idaho Invitational Track and Field meet at the Dan O’Brien Complex in Moscow.

Teams that participated in this meet were Western Washington University and the University of Idaho.

She beat her opponents by an average of 11.78 meters in the hammer throw. The Spokane Valley native threw for an impressive 55.58 meters.

Wardsworth surpassed her personal best by 1.91 meters. Her discus throw personal best was 32.78 meters and her weight throw was 15.65 meters.

WSU men’s throwers were also victorious in their events taking first and second place. Senior Matt Wardell threw the shot put for a personal record of 16.70 meters, placing first. Redshirt junior Adam Mahama also took first in the discus throw with a personal record of 48.41 meters and Brock Eager won the hammer throw launching the hammer unattached for 58.97 meters. Travis Pickett placed behind Eager for second and threw for 58.86 meters.

Freshman Kainoa Tom who took first in men’s vault with 4.50 meters, followed by sophomore Tucker Mjelde with 4.35 meters, placing in second. For women’s pole vault, redshirt freshman Danielle Carnahan took second with a final height of 3.40 meter.

Senior Essence White won her event in women’s long jump as she leaped for 5.66 meters, while junior McKenna Hogan made second place and jumped for 5.39 meters.

On the track, freshman Jake Nienhuis took first among his peers; Freshman Will DeMaris and freshman Tyler Hill in the 400-meter dash. Nienhuis ran for 51.15. In the 100-meter dash and 200-meter dash freshman Ethan Gardner took second in his events. He finished the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.38, following Gardner, freshman Ray Littles placed third with a time of 11.43. Gardner’s time for the 200-meter dash was 22.71.

The Cougars will compete again April 1-2 at the San Francisco State Distance Carnival, the Stanford Invitational, and the Whitworth University Sam Adams Classic.

Reporting by Jamie Jones