More excellent health coverage is appreciated

Editor:

I have never before contacted you about a story run in your paper. To be honest, I have yet to come across one that I felt it really warranted my time. That was until I read “Addiction Comes in Many Forms” by Alyssa Reynolds. I would like to say her article was very well constructed. I like the fact that she had factual information from creditable sources. For a topic in the opinion section that seems very rare.

I agree with her side of the story. I personally think watching friends destroy or severely damage their lives as a result of any substance should not be tolerated. In my personal opinion, I believe watching someone you care about gorging is no worse than letting a friend drink too much at a party. The state of denial that people get into over obesity is a real problem relating to this issue.  I know because for a while, I was one of those people. 

I feel that as a society going forward it is our responsibility to teach future generations more about nutrition before they leave high school. It is baffling how high school, which is supposed to teach you basic skills required to survive when you leave your parent’s house, does nothing to actually teach many useful skills. For example, students graduating high school should know how to put on a spare tire when they get a flat.  Relating to nutrition, I feel every student should know how to cook a minimum of 10 simple, well balanced and cheap meals. That would help keep Top Ramen from becoming the main diet staple in college.

I also feel that society tends to cater to those who want to live a lazy lifestyle too much. For example, I see students and staff everyday wait by elevators like cattle to go up one flight of stairs. In high school, the elevator was only allowed for use by those with a disability or when moving a large item like a project. The fact that asking for help with any addiction is seen as a weakness or pathetic makes overcoming this issue that the author wrote about even more difficult.

Thank you for publishing this piece. Sorry if I ranted and raved too much. I would ask that you continue to publish stories dealing with health issues to help educate everyone who reads the paper.  I look forward to more articles like this one.

Keith Ferguson

junior mechanical engineer

-The opinions expressed in these letters to the editor are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.