Fast food feng shui

I want you to close your eyes and picture the inside and outside of a McDonald’s restaurant…

Ok, I’m sorry I made you do that, but it gets better if you stick with me. McDonald’s is in the process of bringing some heavy overhaul to their brand – and no, I am not talking about a new burger item. The 60-year-old franchise is unrolling a slew of sleek and modern restaurant designs in an effort to evolve a step ahead of its competitors.

So, how do I feel about the images for the remodel? Well, simply put, I’m loving it. While the cafeteria feel is a legacy, it is 60 years old and that is honestly what McDonald’s feels like. The designs are a refreshing and de-aging facelift for the elderly chain.

As much as I enjoy the new take on restaurant design, this remodel comes at a time when McDonald’s sales are decreasing and a new aesthetic won’t fix the underlying problem.

I find it amusing that they seemed to have design names in the same fashion that paint has, pretentiously arbitrary names. Some of the new design names include: Allegro, Craft, Simply Modern, Fresh+Vibrant, Form and Living Room.

The new interiors were created by a coalition of international design teams including Gensler (U.S.), UXUS (Netherlands) and Juicy (Australia). This should stand as no surprise to anyone that has eaten at the burger joint in foreign lands. Many of the remodeled looks come heavily influenced from branches all over the world. Many American fast food chains construct grandiose and polished versions only for international waters.

In the past, this move has proven effective as it romanticizes positive preconceived notions that foreign countries have developed about America and more importantly, our restaurants. On the other hand, if you are from America and traveling elsewhere, then the restaurants tend to be pleasant, overwhelming and surprising for many of us used to the substandard.

The modernization of American McDonald’s removes one critical backlash the international counterparts suffered. Many of them would adopt architecture styles and stereotypes of that culture to make them feel more at home, aiming for a kind of “cultural synergy.” A Starbucks in the quiet green areas of Japan will have sliding doors, the matching roof structure, and the overall feel of a traditional Japanese home.

Some of the indigenous people appreciate the assimilation, while others have been offended by the copying American businesses, calling them charlatans of their culture. The American designs aim to appease everyone and from the looks of it, is quite objective in its aesthetics. That has the added benefit of being an equalizer among the people. An unkempt, old McDonald’s could give off pedestrian vibes at times, but the new versions are colorful and inviting to any status or class.

I do have some concerns regarding this big makeover, though. With some new parts in the machine that is McDonald’s also comes some gear shifts. The 2.0 version will include a greater emphasis on self-service, which I’m predicting might be a blight on one of the best elements of the brand.

I hold tremendous respect for McDonald’s unconditional support and hiring of any employee regardless of background, status, sexual identity, race or anything else you might think of. It is unequivocally one of the best starting jobs any person could have. Other upgrades for the restaurant include newer technology, more customization, new designs on bags, cups and boxes. But with 70 percent of McDonald’s sales coming from the drive-thru, I wonder if revamping an interior customers never see will increase sales.

While the physical aspect of the restaurant is glaringly progressive, their food is still lacking. McDonald’s has been battling a decrease in sales for quite some time now. Consumers are more cognitive of how they eat and are savvier with not only what is seen, but unseen when it comes to their food.

Their midlife crisis among the Millennial times has caused them to enact a variety of desperate tactics to assuage their debased position. The all-day breakfast menu has been a noticeable success, while the new mascot gives me more nightmares than Mr. Ronald ever did.

The one thing that McDonald’s does not have the will to change is the food, and therein lies the rub. McDonald’s has never been the paragon when it comes to quality food made with good wholesome ingredients. They can Febreeze the interior of their restaurants all they want, but the odor and stains of food still exists.

McDonald’s perfectly engineers their food with a mad scientist twinkle in their eye. I hate McDonalds food and all fast food in general as it is not only unhealthy, but packed full of chemicals and ingredients not properly sourced. But, to change the class of food they serve would completely flip the franchise on its head (And no, the addition of kale and cage-free eggs does not solve the problem). It is not going to happen. I am curious as to how the juxtaposition of food and interior will play out. The remodel is far too pretty for the kind of food they serve.

A new generation means a new McDonald’s. Roughly 20 percent of all the locations have been revamped so far, but it won’t be long until everyone can get a peek. It is a welcomed and timely change and who knows, those famous golden arches may be shining just a little bit brighter because of it.

Daniel Anderson is a freshman studying hospitality and business management from Bellevue. He can be contacted at 335-1140 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.