Student life in Ireland: Tea time and weekday parties

ever in my life did I think I would have to share a café couch with a pigeon.

Since last week was a trial period for me to sit in on classes, this week I finally got to try out my finalized schedule. So far, things seem to be fitting well and I’m not regretting any class choices.

Good thing, too. My “change of mind” period ends at the beginning of February.

With the new schedule came a lot of talk amongst my friends and roommates about “back at my campus we did this” and “wow, this is so different from things done in the States.” I’ve also noticed that I’m already calling my home country “the States.”

Ireland is a bilingual country, with people who speak both English and Gaelic (more commonly referred to as Irish nowadays). Everywhere in town there are signs with building names and streets in both languages.

My first day, I almost couldn’t find my first class because I looked for the English name of the hall rather than the Irish name. Any student going abroad should be aware of this, even in European countries that speak English.

A popular student hangout is Smokey’s Café, where there are cubical couches for students to sit down and chat with their friends between classes, or share their space with the pigeons who waltz right through the doors every chance they get.

Tea and coffee are huge in Ireland, especially since they have an Irish tea time (I’ve heard it’s around 4 p.m.). While you won’t see a single Starbucks, a café can be found at every corner and throughout campus, including the gym.

During orientation, the visiting students were told how many of the Irish students go out on weekday nights and stay out late, and over the weekend they go home to visit their families. I can attest to this, as I often have to listen to college students singing as they pass my window.

The experience had me wondering just how many Irish college students had afternoon classes as opposed to mornings. Then I found out the earliest class at the National University of Ireland is at 9 a.m., whereas WSU has labs that begin as early as 7 a.m.

It’s unclear if my afternoon classes will make my school life easier or harder, but I suppose I’ll learn as I go along. Meanwhile, I have to find out where I have room in my schedule to go to Archery Club.