WSU bans hoverboard storage

Hoverboards, a sensational new type of personal transportation, are being met with systematic bans around the country following widespread reports of fiery battery explosions.

Due to fire safety risks, the Risk Management Committee at WSU implemented a ban on the storage of the self-balancing two-wheeled scooter on all WSU campuses and WSU-operated facilities.

An email was sent out to inform all faculty and students about the ban and prompt them to avoid bringing hoverboards back to campus as they return for the spring semester.

Hoverboards are powered by lithium-ion batteries that can overheat and explode under rare circumstances. Some reports suggest that these faulty batteries are an issue particularly with cheaper versions of the product.

Moreover, the storage ban follows a warning issued by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which is also conducting an ongoing investigation of the devices. Similar safety concerns prompted major U.S. airlines to ban the devices on their flights.

The WSU policy does not specifically ban the use of hoverboards outside of buildings. The ban only covers the storage and possession of such devices in residence halls, university apartments, academic buildings, research buildings, recreational facilities, or other structures on WSU owned properties.

The ban is temporary and pending manufacturers’ ability to produce a product that can meet safety standards reliably. For the time being, students and faculty are being asked to refrain from bringing hoverboards back with them.

Reporting by Elizabeth Jacome

Editor’s note: The print edition of this article featured material that published without proper attribution. The Daily Evergreen expects the best from its reporters, and as such has taken disciplinary action and has conducted internal discussion to prevent this issue from happening in the future. This online version of the story has been edited to include only original content. Â