Facing insecurities head-on

There are many different skin care products to choose from, the only way to find the right one for you is through trial and error.

Atrip to the doctor is a nerve-wracking situation for a lot of adults; it is usually a result of illness or injury. But for others, a trip to the doctor could mean the difference between loving yourself and living in insecurity.

A few weeks ago, I read an article from Cosmopolitan magazine, which talked about how essential dermatologists are for self-confidence. Teens visit their dermatologist and feel like their problems will instantly disappear once their complexion is flawless. Dermatologists become skin psychologists; they listen to your problems and know exactly how to fix them.

I thought about this, and realized how true it is. I started going to the dermatologist when I was about 14. I had a web of insecurities related to my skin; I worried how long I would have to deal with acne, how much worse it would get, and why I felt like the only person who had any.

My friends all had seemingly perfect skin, and I thought the only thing people noticed about me was my blemished complexion. I used countless medications to clear up my skin, and when something wasn’t working, my next trip to the dermatologist was another opportunity for clear skin.

By the time I was a senior in high school, I had gone to three different dermatologists and tried pretty much every medication sold at the pharmacy. Finally, I found a medication that worked.

Looking back, I never realized how important dermatologists have been in my life. They were the ones who gave my teenage self the hope of feeling pretty. My acne was my biggest insecurity, and I felt that until it was gone, I could never be considered pretty.

I remember my aesthetician, who worked at the dermatologist office, told me that everyone has flaws because otherwise they would be perfect, and there wouldn’t be anything exciting about them.

She was someone I could confide in and talk about anything with. Whether it was skin care, high school or my future, she made me feel comfortable in the exam room. Leaving my dermatologist’s office was like leaving a yoga class: relaxing and energizing.

Most people are embarrassed and quiet about their experiences with dermatologists, because they think it will expose the fact that they don’t have flawless skin. While I never wanted to take medications and apply creams every night to my face, I learned so much about myself through the process. Now I recommend skin care products to my friends and know how to properly take care of my skin.

As a high schooler, I despised my skin and just wanted it to be as flawless as everyone else’s. Now I realize that there will be other insecurities that come along, and I will have to face them the same way.

Never be afraid to face your insecurities head-on, because you might just win.

Alisa Smith is a sophomore communication and political science major from Arlington. She can be contacted at 335-1140 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.