Dear WSU campaign brings students answers

The Associated Students of Washington State University (ASWSU) is hosting its third annual #DearWSU Campaign, and students are hoping for tangible results.

#DearWSU gives students an opportunity to give feedback on campus-related issues to the student body leaders. To participate in the campaign, all students need to do is state their ideas and use the hashtag #DearWSU on social media.

“We read every single tweet,” said ASWSU President Kyle Geiger.

The campaign is a way for ASWSU to not just hear the voices of its constituents, but to get them involved with what matters to them.

“Sometimes I see things around campus that I wish were different and I honestly wouldn’t go out of my way if this campaign didn’t exist,” senior business major Alli Pullin said. “It is really easy because I check social media multiple times a day.”

The ASWSU communication staff checks which subjects are trending based off of popularity, and organize tangible feedback into reports, ASWSU Vice President Samantha Kieling said.

The reports are then sent to the necessary departments, Geiger said. For example, tweets related to food are sent to WSU Dining Services.

“The #DearWSU Campaign is one of the only ways I have been involved with ASWSU,” Pullin said. “I think it would be interesting if ASWSU posted the top suggestion from each day, then when a change is made more students feel involved.”

Students can expect to see results by the end of the year. ASWSU encourages students to continue tweeting specific and feasible feedback. 

“A goal of the campaign is to have a lot more tangible results this year,” Kieling said.

Last year, many students said the CUB door handles were confusing, and as a result of the #DearWSU Campaign, the door handles were removed.