Combatting local horrors with personal vigilance

Halloween is the time of year when nightmares of ax murderers and monsters under the bed seem like reality. But there are plenty of local, real-world horrors that can give you quite a fright.

Alcohol is a staple of any college party and also is one of the top causes of incidents, according to the WSU Police Department. With inhibitions lowered, students tend to make bad decisions more frequently.

“We have to be concerned with hypothermia with the weather changing because we’ve found students passed out in bushes before,” said Don Daniels, an officer for WSU’s police department. “And when you’re not wearing proper clothing, you add alcohol to the mix it lowers your blood temperature and that’s a really bad mix.”

Plus there’s the embarrassment that can result from these incidents. No one wants to see Winnie the Pooh passed out on the front lawn, as Daniels put it.

“We could see some broken jaws just from fist fights, people don’t honestly believe that you can get hurt in a fist fight,” Pullman Police Cmdr. Chris Tennant said, “Broken jaws, dental work, broken facial bones, broken hands, those are pretty common.”

Be aware of how much alcohol you’re ingesting and know your limits, Tennant said. Always have a designated driver and just don’t drink and drive

If you have to be taken to the hospital, the medical bills can stack up quickly, said Chris Wehrung, Pullman fire prevention officer and EMT. And so can lawyer fees if you’re in an accident.

“Big party nights, we’ll get students from other universities here because of the past reputation that WSU has,” Daniels said. “The perception and reality are totally different.”

Pullman Police Department estimates roughly 90 percent of all calls are theft related. Many remember the year when a group of thieves rolled through town and robbed six resident halls, Daniels said.

With everyone out and about, this provides burglars the perfect situation for a “crime of opportunity.” Tennant and Daniels have one simple tip to help stop theft.

“Lock up your car and lock up your house,” Tennant said.

As with any big night, the risk of sexual assault increases and is definitely an issue on Halloween. Alcohol abuse exponentially increases these risks. Being with friends and watching your alcohol consumption can go a long way toward protecting yourself, Tennant said.

“There are predators out there whether they’re after your property, your person, whatever, and if you want to not be a victim, don’t make it easy for them,” Tennant said.

Unwelcome visitors can not just spoil your party, they can also get you in serious trouble if they’re underage. With everyone wearing costumes, it’s easier to hide who is coming and going from a party, and this leaves room for uninvited guests to appear, Daniels said.

WSU PD recommends monitoring who comes and goes from your party to ensure no slip-ups occur.

“It’s almost to the point of recommending that people show Cougar ID to get in so you know they’re from here and that they’re of age,” Daniels said.

Fire safety can also become an issue for students, and the rate of false alarms can go up as well. Smoke machines can create a spooky fog, but they can also set off smoke alarms that are highly sensitive to any type of smoke, Wehrung said.

Know the environment you’re in and be aware of your surroundings, Tennant said. If you’re going to go trick-or-treating in a family neighborhood, WSU PD asks that you wear appropriate clothing and be respectful of fellow trick-or-treaters.

In the end, having a couple drinks is OK, and letting loose a little is a great way to relax, just remember to drink responsibly and have a plan. Know beforehand where you’re going and who you’re going with, what time you plan on leaving, and don’t wait to plan until after you’ve already had a few drinks. Simple prevention will make sure your Halloween ends up being a scream, not a fright.

“I’m certainly not the Nancy Regan ‘just say no, when it comes to alcohol,’ but I am into individual responsibility,” Tennant said. “Drink responsibly, party responsibly, follow a plan and you can get through the evening without becoming a victim or waking up in the hospital.”