New literary journal focuses on feminism

Student work on feminist art, social issues can be featured on magazine

LAUREN PETTIT

Those who want more information or want to submit work can reach out to [email protected].

LANNA RUIZ, Evergreen reporter

This fall, the WSU Women*s Center launched Harpy*s Magazine, a literary journal centered on feminist and social issues.

Students can submit feminist art, poems, songs and other forms of expression for publication. Along with feminism, Harpy*s Magazine looks for work that explores LGBTQ+ issues, immigration rights, body issues, racial injustice and other topics related to social justice.

Women*s Center director Amy Sharp came up with the idea when other large universities began producing feminist magazines that featured students, like Feminist Formations at Oregon State University. She then proposed the idea of creating Harpy*s Magazine to Zainab Guizani and Clany Wauran, who both worked to craft and put the journal together.

Guizani and Wauran both work for the Women*s Center, which offers safe rides, a food and clothing bank, safe spaces and clubs. Guizani, a senior and a long-time member of the Women*s Center, was chosen to run the magazine. Wauran, a sophomore public relations major and a newer member of the Women*s Center, was tasked with helping Guizani produce the magazine. 

“We want to feature everyone who submitted. We want all ages and people,” Guizani said. “WSU now has a feminist magazine, and we are here trying to make the best of it during COVID. We want to be sort of beacon during this time and hopefully in the future.”

Wauran said submissions came in slow at first, but they will be putting out their first issue in early December with the hopes of more submissions for the future. The first issue will focus on body image. Using the magazine, Guizani and Wauran are trying to spread positivity and awareness around body image in today’s world. 

“It’s really nice to see everyone involved in this,” Wauran said. “I enjoy watching people express feminism through their own artwork.”

She said she hopes to see more WSU students participate and know about the magazine. 

In future issues, the creators hope to discuss other feminist topics and continue to promote positivity. Guizani and Wauran said they want students to feel accepted, hopeful and inspired by the magazine. 

Wauran said if the magazine proves to be successful they might create social media platforms to further spread social justice ideas.

Although there may be individuals who do not like what is in the magazine, Wauran said she is not responsible for other’s feelings. 

“We do the best we can do. We can’t change other’s minds, but we can give them the information,” Wauran said. “This is what we do and we want to push these ideas forward. Feminism is for everyone.”