Swimming dominates meet againt Redhawks

The Washington State University swim team is on a roll.  The Cougars have now won two out of their last three contests, including a blowout win over the Seattle University Redhawks Friday, 176-80. 

Cougars dominated the Seattle team, winning nine out of the 12 individual events and both relay events on their way to victory.

WSU came out of the gates swimming fast as the team of senior Emma Johansson, sophomore Frederikke Hall, junior Alison Mand, and freshman Hailey Rose Love earned a top place finish in the 400 medley relay with a time of 3 minutes and 51.18 seconds. On the back end of the meet, senior Anne Kenney, Love, Johansson, and junior Nicole Proulx cruised to a first place finish in the 200 freestyle relay with a time of 1 minute and 35.83 seconds.  

Head Coach Tom Jager emphasized the mental toughness of swimming tired for the younger swimmers. Freshman Elise Locke continued to step up for the Cougars, winning the 1,000-yard freestyle and the 200-yard butterfly in the individual events. 

Seven other teammates joined Locke by earning top place finishes in the individual races. Johansson, Hall, Love, Proulx, Mand, sophomore Loree Olson, and freshman Emma Ronczkowski led the team to a top place finish in at least one event. 

The Cougars placed in the top three in the 50-yard and 100-yard freestyle races, capped off by a first place finish from Love in the 50 and a second place finish in the 100. 

The Cougars will try to keep the momentum going as they prepare to compete in the Hawkeye Invitational in Iowa City, Iowa Dec. 6-8.