Letter to the editor: attack on planned parenthood is act of cowardice

The attack on Planned Parenthood in Pullman was an act of cowardice. If you disagree with the principles of an institution, you should do it in an honest and non-violent fashion. Difference of opinions or beliefs does not give someone the right to destroy property.

I am Nathan Weller, a member of the Pullman Human Rights Commission, City Councilmember, WSU Alumnus and long-time Pullmanite, and I condemn the Sept. 4 arson of Planned Parenthood.

Some in politics have said I am reacting too quickly, others that I should not take a stance. However, this event has rocked our community and is an attack on women’s rights, the values of the city of Pullman, and important services provided to people of all ages.

Nearly three million of the most vulnerable women of our society depend on Planned Parenthood for essential reproductive and health services including breast, cervical, HIV screening, and counseling.

Pullman is a welcoming city to all, and this arson is an affront to our community. Yet this heinous act and temporary displacement of valuable services will not dissuade our community from supporting and defending our neighbors, visitors and the important services that are provided by all organizations.

Anyone with knowledge of the crime should contact the Pullman Police Department, and I urge the individual(s) to turn themselves in to face justice. I hope everyone reading this will join me in condemning this attack on our community. Let us stand together and say not here, not ever!

The opinions expressed in this letter are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.