The Daily Evergreen

Battle of the Palouse

nior guard DaVonte Lacy dribbles the ball up the court during a home game against Lamar, Saturday, Nov. 16.

Evan Baron Evergreen Men's Basketball reporter

December 6, 2013

 After traveling to Florida last week for the Old Spice Classic, the WSU men's basketball team will head to Moscow, Idaho, to take on the Idaho Vandals (4-4).Here are four critical components at play when WSU takes the court in hopes of victory on Saturday.ExecutionThree out of the four losses the Cougar...

Seahawks not flying the highest

Carolina Panthers’ Steve Smith makes a reception in front of a Seattle Seahawks defender during a home game in Charlotte, N.C., Sunday, Sept. 8.

Chris Shaw Evergreen columnist

December 4, 2013

As the playoffs have so often proven, the best record in the regular season does not always lead to a Super Bowl victory. The Seattle Seahawks currently own the best record in the league. However, this does not mean they are playing better than their competition in the conference. Although an 11-1 rec...

Cougar men return from Orlando with new perspective

Head Coach Ken Bone and the Cougars went 1-2 during their holiday trip to Orlando, Fla. 

Evan Baron Evergreen Men's Basketball reporter

December 4, 2013

Though the Cougars lost two close games at the Old Spice Classic in Orlando, WSU head men's basketball coach Ken Bone said in a press conference Tuesday that he isn't concerned with the team's ability to close out games."If it continued or if it does continue I'd be concerned, but I'm basing it off of ...

Taking advantage

Robin Dich Evergreen columnist

December 3, 2013

It’s official. Steve Sarkisian is leaving the University of Washington for the vacant head coaching job at the University of Southern California.During his time at UW, Sarkisian turned a program that was 0-12 in 2008 to an eight-win and possibly nine-win program. He started this by recruiting player...

Cougs earn all-conference honors

Evan Baron Evergreen Football reporter

December 3, 2013

WSU senior safety Deone Bucannon earned Pac-12 first-team honors when Commissioner Larry Scott announced the All-Pac-12 teams Monday.Bucannon became the first Cougar player to make the First-Team All-Pac-12 team since wide receiver Brandon Gibson in 2007, according to wsucougars.com.Bucannon led the co...

East coast teams struggling to exert dominance

Kurt Schroeder Evergreen columnist

December 3, 2013

The New York Knicks and the Brooklyn Nets have just an 18 percent chance of making the playoffs, according to the Elias Sports Bureau – a number that just a month ago would have seemed 82 percent short.Prior to the start of the regular season, both the Knicks and the Nets had championship aspirations an...

Bowl game chances hang in the balance after Apple Cup loss

Adam Loewy Evergreen reporter

December 2, 2013

As senior safety Deone Bucannon left the visiting locker room at Husky Stadium, a smile crossed his face as he exited the tunnel and headed toward the Washington State buses. Even with the bitter taste of defeat in his mouth, there was a sense of pride about how much the team improved since last season....

Men’s basketball finishes in sixth

Evan Baron Evergreen Men's Basketball reporter

December 2, 2013

The Washington State University men's basketball team spent most of its Thanksgiving break in Orlando, Fla., where they competed in the Old Spice Classic.WSU won one of three games in Orlando, resulting in a sixth-place finish.WSU opened up against Butler in the first round of the tournament, but coul...

More than just a game

Redshirt junior quarterback Connor Halliday will be playing in first ever Apple Cup on Friday which will also be his first game in Husky Stadium. 

Chris Shaw Evergreen Football reporter

November 28, 2013

The WSU Cougars have six wins for the first time since 2006. They have secured bowl eligibility. However, they have not beaten their biggest rivals yet this season. For the 106th time, the Cougars and the Washington Huskies will play each other in the Apple Cup rivalry game. Yet, according to WSU Hea...

Cougs fall short at home

Robin Dich Evergreen reporter

November 24, 2013

The Washington State Cougars fell to Texas Christian University Sunday night after making an unsuccessful effort to come back from an early 13 point deficit.Kyan Anderson drove and drew the foul with 5.8 seconds left in regulation. The game was tied at 62 before Anderson hit both free throws to put t...

Cougs win, achieve bowl eligibility

Robin Dich Evergreen reporter

November 23, 2013

The Washington State Cougars rose to the occasion for the second year in a row on Senior Night by defeating the Utah Utes 49-37.The offensive line held strong against a Utah front seven that led the nation in total sacks (36) before the game. After the game, the number stayed the same and the Cougs pr...

Final home showdown

Redshirt senior cornerback Nolan Washington turns to face the student section in Martin Stadium during a game against Southern Utah, Saturday, Sept. 14. The Cougars won 48-10 in their first home game of the 2013 season.

Chris Shaw Evergreen Football reporter

November 22, 2013

Two games remain for the WSU Cougars, and that means two more chances for the team to clinch a spot in a bowl game.Immediately facing the Cougars is a matchup against the Utah Utes at home in Martin Stadium, where WSU has not beaten a Pac-12 team this season. Despite the excitement of a potential bowl g...

The student voice of Washington State University since 1895
Men’s