Week of Welcome presents first-year fun, student resources

Students can visit multicultural resource fair, violence prevention program

FRANKIE BEER, Evergreen news editor

GRACIE ROGERS
The Student Recreation Center will offer free classes, like kickboxing and barre, during its All Access Week.

For students who are looking to meet fellow Cougs within their major or find helpful resources for the fall semester, WSU is offering events throughout Week of Welcome. 

Thursday, Aug. 18

From 9-11 a.m., transfer students and veterans can visit the second-floor lounge in the Spark for Coffee and Conversation, according to Coug Presence. This event is a part of WSU’s second annual TransferCon. The Transfer Center will also hand out free candy on Terrell Mall from 1-2 p.m.

Students can also drop in for academic advising appointments from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. in the Lighty Student Services Building Room 180 if they have any questions about their fall schedules, according to Coug Presence. The Academic Success and Career Center will host another advising session at the same time on Aug. 19 and 21. 

Count on Cougs sessions, which are mandatory for first-year and transfer students, will begin at 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. in Washington Building Room G41. This program focuses on violence prevention and helping bystanders minimize gender-based violence, like stalking and sexual assault, according to Coug Presence. The program will continue at the same times on Aug. 19 in addition to 9 a.m. on Aug. 23 and 10 a.m. on Aug. 31.

To learn about programs within their major while meeting fellow students and faculty, students can attend the Academic College Kickoffs from 2-4 p.m., held in varying locations depending on their college, which students will find on Coug Presence. Multiple colleges will also provide free food, games and $100 scholarships. 

If students are still exploring the degree programs at WSU, the Academic Success and Career Center will provide career resources, ice cream from Ferdinand’s Ice Cream Shoppe and video games from 2-4 p.m. in the Lighty 180, according to Coug Presence. This event is a part of the ACK. 

From 4-4:45 p.m., the university will celebrate the inauguration of Chancellor Elizabeth Chilton, WSU Pullman’s first chancellor, in Bryan Hall. It will be followed by a reception in the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art, according to Coug Presence

Later that evening, Housing and Residence Life will host a Price is Right event from 7-9 p.m. in the Compton Union Building senior ballroom, where students can win prizes and learn about getting involved in their hall government, according to WSU Presence.  

Until Sunday, students can also take free classes, like yoga and spin, at the Student Recreation Center, according to Coug Presence. Students can register for the “WoW events” classes on the SRC website

Friday, Aug. 19

From 10-11 a.m. in Beasley Coliseum, WSU faculty and staff will host this year’s University Convocation with guest speakers Zoe Higheagle Strong, College of Education associate professor, and Roma Samala, sophomore international business major. They will provide tips for students on gaining the most from their college experience, according to Coug Presence

Following University Convocation, students can visit the All Campus Picnic and Resource Fair from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Cougar Way. Along with a free barbecue lunch, students can speak with clubs, WSU departments and local businesses, according to Coug Presence

Saturday, Aug. 20

Students can attend a CougGlow Dance Party from 9-11:30 p.m. in the CUB senior ballroom, according to Coug Presence.

Sunday, Aug. 21

CONEXION, a resource fair for students interested in multicultural programs, will take place from 3-5 p.m. in the CUB senior ballroom, giving students a chance to find their community and learn about student organizations, according to Coug Presence. The event will have live music, giveaways and a “cool treat.” 

From 12:30-3:30 p.m., the SRC is hosting a UREC Bash, where students can explore programs and equipment at the facility at a free open house, according to the SRC

Monday, Aug. 22

The SRC will also provide free fitness classes, like barre and kickboxing, for students and faculty until Aug. 28 during All Access Week. Participants can find registration and more information for the classes on the SRC website. They must check in with the front desk at the SRC and Chinook facilities before entering a class, according to the SRC

School begins Monday – good luck Cougs!