ASWSU denied tickets by UW, emails show

Apple Cups tickets not only for Husky fans, UW counters

RYAN PUGH | Daily Evergreen File

Redshirt senior Jamal Morrow runs the ball for a gain of yards against Nevada on September 23 at Martin Stadium.

JACOB MOORE, Former Evergreen sports editor

In forwarded emails between University of Washington and ASWSU Global, it appeared that UW was only willing to sell Apple Cup tickets to Husky fans.

The Evergreen obtained two separate chains of emails showing a conversation between a University of Washington ticket representative and ASWSU Global. UW’s emails matched up to ASWSU Global’s emails.

However, major differences showed up in the final Oct. 3 email, implying one may have been altered.

According to emails forwarded by ASWSU Global on Oct. 4, Sheldon Adams, UW director of group and digital sales, denied the group tickets because of orders received by senior administration.

“I am terribly sorry for causing this situation, but we are unable to fulfill your group’s request,” Adams said. “We have been asked by our senior administration to only sell tickets to UW fans for this game. Similar requests have been made for the Oregon football game and Gonzaga basketball game.”

UW’s screenshotted version of the emails sent to the Evergreen on Wednesday showed a different explanation. An extra sentence was included, specifying a lack of ticket inventory for the Apple Cup. The email also said, “We have been asked by our senior administration to try to only sell to UW fans for this game.”

Carter Henderson, UW associate athletic director of marketing and communications, said he was unaware of this difference from the ticket office.

“This is an internal matter that is being reviewed at this time through the appropriate processes,” Henderson said.
Adams was unavailable for comment.

Before learning of the email changes, Henderson said the denial of ASWSU Global’s attempt to purchase 80 group tickets was based on a lack of inventory.

ASWSU Global President Dennis Moton II called Henderson’s initial response “damage control.”
“If it has nothing to do with being affiliated,” Moton said, “why would an email come out saying such? There seems to be a discrepancy.”

Henderson changed his stance after learning of the alleged email modifications.

“UW Athletics has a long history of marketing to and welcoming groups, regardless of their school affiliation,” Henderson said. “Unfortunately, the ticket office representative working with this account did not accurately convey departmental policies. However, we look forward to working with any and all interested groups moving forward.”

ASWSU Global Adviser CeCe Smith said UW administration tried reaching out to her about getting more tickets for the group, despite the fact that Apple Cup tickets have been sold out. However, Smith said she has already exercised her budget and only wants to communicate with UW via email.

Smith usually purchases over 100 group tickets for the Apple Cup, but this year, ASWSU Global only had the funds for 80, Smith said. That number has since shrunk to 20 single game tickets due to the price increase.

“Had we been given direct communication, we could have secured more tickets at a lesser cost,” Moton said. “In the end, it’s sad for the student body.”

Back-and-fourth emails between Smith and Adams reveal the ticket ordering process was stunted after ASWSU Global received approval to purchase the tickets Sept. 13. Smith said someone should be contacting Adams to pay for the group tickets by phone.

Adams followed up with a Sept. 19 email to say that he had yet to hear from anyone. Student Involvement reached out to Smith a few days later, detailing that they had left four voice messages for Adams but could not get through.

Berto Cerrillo, assistant director for Student Involvement, confirmed this with the Evergreen. Smith immediately sent an email to Adams, asking if he could schedule a time to take the payment, but he did not respond with the final email until Oct. 3.

“For us as Global campus students, we live busy lives,” Moton said. “Our face-to-face events are opportunities to more closely connect to the WSU system.”