Pullman Greyhounds football prepares for season opener

Pullman Greyhounds Head Coach Dan Lucier talks about his 37-year high school coaching career that began in Superior, Montana. Lucier will lead his team to Husky Stadium in Seattle to take on the Fife Trojans on Sept. 2 for the first game of the 2017-2018 season.

LUKE HOLLISTER | The Daily Evergreen

LUKE HOLLISTER | The Daily Evergreen

LUKE HOLLISTER | The Daily Evergreen

JACOB MOORE, Evergreen recreation editor

The Pullman Greyhounds recently started spring practice, preparing for the upcoming high school football season that begins Sept. 2 at Husky Stadium in Seattle, where the team is set to take on the Fife Trojans.

The Greyhounds finished first in the Great Northern League last season, going undefeated in league play and advancing to state after beating Prosser High School, the defending state champions, at Martin Stadium.

Repeating that success will mean commitment — something Head Coach Dan Lucier emphasized.

“I think all the players’ commitment to each other is unique,” he said. “It’s a pretty deep commitment.”

After coaching for 32 years in Superior, Montana, Lucier decided it was time for a change and pursued a new challenge in Pullman. While he admitted it was a big move, Lucier acknowledged that his coaching philosophy has not shifted in the 37 total years he’s coached.

“We really try to pay attention to the team,” Lucier said. “It’s important to be autographing our work with excellence, building character, being excellent teammates, having the heart of a champion through hard work, resilience and discipline.”

Since moving from a town smaller than Pullman, Lucier has learned just how important this high school is to the community.

Former Pullman High School Principal Joe Thornton noted the pride the Pullman community has for education, not just at the collegiate level, but at the high school level as well.

Four years ago, then Communications Coordinator and Assistant to the Superintendent Shannon Focht said a bond to remodel Pullman High School passed by 87 percent. The state would end up providing $60 million for renovations.

As the renovations near completion and the Greyhounds prepare for another season, Lucier is happy to see full support from the community.

To better prepare for their trip to Seattle, the Greyhounds are holding a car wash fundraiser from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Wysup Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram on Grand Avenue.

Lucier said the money will go toward things like hotel rooms during the upcoming trip to Seattle or smaller expenses like posters. It’s also a team-building exercise, he said.

In reference to getting the opportunity to play at Husky Stadium, Lucier said he and his team have not talked about it too much yet, but he’s sure that everyone’s going to be excited.

“We’re working with a great bunch of young men that are full of character,” Lucier said. “I think we’re going to be really excited. It’ll be fun.”

JACOB MOORE, Former Evergreen sports editor

Jacob Moore is a junior sport management major from Tacoma. He graduated in December 2016.