Intramurals, a fun way to stay active this summer

Participants compete in an intramural soccer match on April 28 at the practice field by Martin Stadium.

JACOB MOORE, Former Evergreen sports editor

Classes have ended, the semester is over and summer on the Palouse has officially begun. If you’re staying in Pullman for the summer and looking for something fun to do, I know that hitting up a local bar is the popular choice. However, if you’re looking for a cheaper, more active alternative, then you should consider signing up for intramurals.

By getting a group of friends and signing up through University Recreation (UREC), you can avoid being cooped up during those warm, sunny days. Plus, unlike going to a bar, you don’t have to be 21 years old — and not waking up with an agonizing hangover is a positive, too.

Some of the most popular sports offered in the summer include flag football, softball, basketball and soccer. However, if you’d rather play tennis, ultimate Frisbee, golf or volleyball, you’re in luck. There’s a wide variety of intramurals offered at WSU for anyone that has time.

DJ Mackie, the UREC coordinator of competitive sports and youth programs, believes it is the goal of intramurals to give students the chance to participate in their favorite sports.

“Really, what we want is to provide an opportunity for students to be active during the summer,” Mackie said.

Obviously, Pullman during the summer is a lot different than Pullman during the school year, as a huge portion of the student population leaves town. That could put a dent in your plans of participating in a team sport if a lot of your friends left Pullman — but there’s no need to worry.

When you sign up on the UREC website, you’re given the option to register as a free agent. Free agents can be picked up by existing teams; players need teams just as teams need players.

Free agency is also great because of the fast and accurate process. As a former official for intramural sports, I can almost guarantee that all free agents will be picked up by a team.

Although, teams fill up quickly, Mackie said. That’s likely because of the reduced, one-time registration fee.

“Unlike during the school year,” Mackie said, “you have the option to try a variety of intramurals in the summer for the same registration fee of $10.”

So, if you find yourself wanting to play soccer and softball, you can and it won’t cost you any additional payment. Once again, you’ll want to jump on this opportunity as registration for the first summer session ends soon.

The first session is short, taking place in the last half of May. The second session, on the other hand, takes place from the end of June to the end of July. Having two session options is perfect for anyone taking a summer vacation or trip out of town.

A lot of people think that if you play intramural sports, you have to be competitive. That is not at all true. Yes, competition is a part of intramurals, but it’s not everything. Most players are looking for fun rather than wins.

If you’re somebody who played high school sports and are looking to build upon your experience, this opportunity is for you, Mackie said.

“Intramurals are perfect for students who want to continue playing sports after high school,” Mackie said.

Instead of trying to be competitive or have fun, you might be wanting to enhance your skills or get a good workout in.

If you’re unsure about how much you’ll like playing intramurals, you can always try it and gauge your enjoyment. After all, the sessions are fairly short. Just make sure to get signed up while you still can.

The first summer session entries end May 11, and the second summer session sign-ups end June 22.