What to do during family weekend this spring

Here are ways to have fun and give back to the Cougar community

ABBY SONNICHSEN

Brenden Potts, Juli Potts and Larry Hall cheer on the Cougars during Family Weekend, Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021, in Pullman, Wash.

SHAKIRA GONZALEZ-LUNA, Evergreen reporter

Family weekend is the weekend to make unforgettable memories as a Cougar family, so come and participate in everything WSU has to offer!

At Brelsford Visitor Center, which will be open all weekend from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., visitors can learn more about family weekend, take Coug-themed souvenir photos, decorate cards, buy Cougar-made merchandise and participate in the center’s Coug Challenge to win a prize. The center is also hosting Cougar cheese sampling and honey tasting.

Fairs

The WSU Spring Family Arts & Crafts Fair, hosted by the Family Weekend Committee, will be from 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Saturday at Beasley Coliseum. There, families can shop from several vendors, ranging from WSU sororities to Pullman businesses.

“Several of our vendors offer licensed items that are WSU and other schools, in case parents or alums are from different schools, and get items that are customized,” fair owner Ginger Gallagher said. “We have people that have t-shirt presses or engraving machines to customize memorable items, shirts, bags and cups.”

The Family Weekend Committee is hosting the S’Wheat Farm Vintique and Gift Sale, featuring 45 different vintage and artisan vendors. The sale will be from 5:30 – 8 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday at the Latah County Fairgrounds. On Saturday, there will be no admission fee, but on Friday, there will be a $10 admission fee.

Performances

Hasan Minhaj — comedian, actor and host of Netflix’s “Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj” — is headlining a concert at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Beasley Coliseum. Tickets cost $74.50 for the public and $69.50 for WSU students. Staff and faculty and are available for purchase on the TicketWest website.

Nuthouse is putting on an improvisational comedy show from 6 – 7 pm. Friday at Todd Hall, hosted by STAGE Student Theatre.

The African Diaspora Association is hosting Africa Night from 7 p.m. – 12 am. Saturday and Sunday at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories. The night will showcase African culture and feature entertainment, food and dancing.

The apparel, merchandising, design, and textiles department will hold its 40th annual fashion show at 7 p.m. March 31 in Beasley Coliseum. The looks are designed by senior design majors working on their capstone fashion collection, which they will present at the fashion show. This year’s theme is Legacy.

Fun with Animals

The College of Veterinary Medicine will have an open house from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday on the Veterinary Teaching Hospital Large Animal Breezeway. People can come and see an anatomically-painted cow, take a tour of the veterinary teaching hospital, bring teddy bears in for pretend surgery and enjoy an appearance from Butch T. Cougar.

The Prendergast Pups at WSU, a service dog-raising club, is hosting puppy painting from 2:30 – 4:30 p.m. Friday at the Compton Union Building to fundraise for the club. Families can interact with dogs and buy paintings created by the dogs. There will also be premade and custom canvases available for sale.

Sports

The Family Weekend Committee will host mini golf from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. Sunday at Airway Hills Golf Center, and players with the best ball score will win a prize.

Wazzu Racing and Cougar Car Club will host Cars and Coffee, a car showcase, from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday in front of the French Administration Building. The showcase will feature the cars of students and members of the Palouse community, as well as Wazzu Racing’s Formula SAE competition car. The organizations will also provide coffee at the event.

An introductory course on the basics of self-defense, hosted by University Recreation, will take place from 2:30 – 4:30 p.m. Friday in room 256 of the Student Recreation Center. Families can attend for free without prior registration, but students must register ahead of time through UREC’s website if they bring one family member.

Community Service

The Alpha Nu Multicultural Sorority, TRIO Student Support Services Program and Cougar Food Pantry are partnering to hold the College Meal Essentials Food Drive Friday through Sunday. Donations to the food drive will go to the Cougar Food Pantry and other local food pantries, Jordyn Young, sorority president and new member educator, said.

A list of suggested donations can be found on the drive’s Presence webpage. People can also donate money, which the sorority will use to buy food to add to the drive. Donate at the following locations:

• Lighty Student Services Building, Suite 260
    • 8 a.m.–6 p.m. March 31
  • Brelsford WSU Visitor Center
    • 8 a.m.–6 p.m. March 31
    • 9 a.m.–4 p.m. April 1
    • 10 a.m.–2 p.m. April 2
  • Cougar Food Pantry in the CUB
    • 7:30 a.m.–11 p.m. March 31
    • 8 a.m.–11 p.m. April 1
    • 8 a.m.–10 p.m. April 2

“We wanted to give back to our community because that is one of our pillars … to empower different women of different backgrounds to become leaders throughout the community,” Young said.

Still do not know what to do? Check out some other events WSU has to offer on WSU’s family weekend webpage, Presence and WSU’s official events webpage.