Voiland College hosts lab safety training

RACHEL SUN, Evergreen news editor

In partnership with the Environmental Health and Safety Department, the Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture will run a lab safety course today from 3 to 4:30 p.m.

The course goes over the basics of lab safety and is aimed at preventing tragic lab accidents that could have been avoided.

It is required for faculty and students working in the PACCAR Environmental Technology Building, but is recommended for anyone working in a lab.

“This is a foundational course,” said Darlene Neunherz, director of facilities operations and safety services for Voiland. “Each lab has its own unique operations.”

Most of those attending in previous years were faculty and graduate students, Neunherz said.

“Typically we see the majority of training sessions being requested when we have a lot of faculty coming in, or a lot of graduate students,” she said.

That information is also important for undergraduates who might work in a lab, she said.

“For somebody that’s going to come [into a WSU lab],” Neunherz said, “we expect you to know certain policies, procedures and rules.”

RACHEL SUN, Evergreen news editor

Rachel is a senior Journalism and Media Production major from Albion, Washington, and is the news editor for fall 2018. She started working for The Daily Evergreen in January of 2017. Before taking the job as news editor, Rachel worked as a photographer, writer and photo editor.