WSU asks students to stay home after Thanksgiving break

Students should plan to be home for two months

MEETING SCREENSHOT

Students should get tested before leaving Pullman for the holidays, WSU officials say.

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen news editor

WSU officials encouraged students who leave for Thanksgiving break not to return to Pullman to prevent the spread in a COVID-19 Town Hall 5 p.m. Wednesday.

Students should plan to be home for two months and should get tested before they leave Pullman, said Mary Jo Gonzales, vice president of student affairs.

First-year students who wish to live on campus in the spring will be in residence halls with about four students sharing a bathroom, said dean of students Jill Creighton.

Jason Sampson, assistant director of environmental health and safety, said the number of positive COVID-19 cases per week from WSU testing has decreased from 350 at its highest to 30 to 40.

The Office of the Provost has provided Chromebooks for about 400 students and Wi-Fi hotspots for about 900 students, said associate vice provost Craig Parks.

There are 600 drive-in locations around Washington where students can access free Wi-Fi, said Phil Weiler, vice president for marketing and communications.

Student Financial Services must delay disbursement of federal aid because the spring semester is starting later, said Brian Dixon, assistant vice president for financial services. Students should make sure they have signed up for direct deposit and can expect aid around Jan. 11.

The FAFSA and the WSU general scholarship application are both open, Dixon said.