Workshop spreads awareness for eating disorders, beauty standards

Peer health educators to lead discussions; online resources available for students

COURTESY OF ELIZABETH MURRAY

Mental health disorders have worsened and in-person care has been less accessible during the pandemic, said Elizabeth Murray, Cougar Health Services peer health educator and senior psychology major. 

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen news editor

Students will host a virtual workshop at 5 p.m. on March 4 to spread awareness about beauty standards following eating disorder awareness week. 

The goal of the event is to promote body acceptance, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, said Elizabeth Murray, Cougar Health Services peer health educator and senior psychology major. 

The event will include activities and information about eating disorders to increase participants’ understanding. Attendees will also discuss beauty standards and how the media shapes them, Murray said.

“It’s to spread awareness for eating disorders … and tips for checking in on friends, for healthy eating and activity throughout the pandemic,” Murray said. 

Mental health disorders have worsened and in-person care has been less accessible during the pandemic, she said. 

Peer health educators normally table to spread awareness about mental health, violence prevention and sexual health, Murray said. They have been planning more virtual workshops in place of tabling. 

WSU students who are struggling with an eating disorder can make a tele-mental health appointment through Counseling and Psychological Services, she said. There are also many online resources for eating disorder prevention, including a CHS screening tool, a National Eating Disorders Association screening tool and an NEDA helpline

Interested students can register online to receive the event Zoom link.