Soccer wins series against Utes

Senior Elyse Bennett scores fifth goal of season in multi-goal game two

Then-sophomore+defender+Mykiaa+Minniss+defends+the+ball+from+Montana+sophomore+midfielder+Zoe+Transtrum+during+the+game+against+University+of+Montana+on+Aug.+30%2C+2019+at+the+Lower+Soccer+Field.+

SERENA HOFDAHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-sophomore defender Mykiaa Minniss defends the ball from Montana sophomore midfielder Zoe Transtrum during the game against University of Montana on Aug. 30, 2019 at the Lower Soccer Field.

DAYLON HICKS, Evergreen reporter

The WSU soccer team played the University of Utah Utes in a weekend doubleheader and tied one match and won the other.

The Cougars ended round one versus Utah in a draw, as the game went in two overtimes, but the Cougars were unable to answer for the Pac-12 opener for both teams. With this tie, the Cougars temporarily made themselves 3-0-1 on the season while Utah moved to 1-1-2.

The highlight of the match was during the final 10 minutes, as senior forward Elyse Bennett had a good chance to score but was saved by Utah keeper SJ Edwards in the 103rd minute. The deflection managed to head in freshman Margie Detrizio’s direction, and she shot over the crossbar.

Three minutes later, Bennett had another good look, but Edwards stopped her shot again. The Cougars had more opportunities to score in the first half as they outshot Utah 8-2.

Edwards was forced to provide two saves in the first 45 minutes of the game as the Cougars had more momentum throughout the game. For the game, the Cougars outshot Utah 22-9, including an 8-2 advantage in the first half and an 8-0 edge in the second overtime. Neither team attempted a shot in the first overtime.

WSU also had a commanding 8-2 advantage on corner kicks. Senior goalkeeper Marissa Zucchetto was an immense help for the Cougars as Utah managed just four shots for the match. Her four saves became a season-high for her as well.

When the Cougars and Utes matched up again on Sunday, the game did not impact Pac-12 rankings because it was considered a non-conference game.

The Cougars came and bounced back in game two to beat the Utes 2-0 to improve to 4-0-1 for the year. The Cougs evened the all-time series with Utah at 8-8-2, including a 5-2-2 mark at home.

After playing to a 0-0 draw Friday, WSU wasted no time in getting on the scoreboard Sunday as Bennett scored two goals early in the first to seal the victory for the Cougars. Detirizio helped set up the assist for Bennett as the lead was started early for the Cougars. The second goal was assisted by senior Makamae Gomera-Stevens.

This is the first multi-goal game for Elyse Bennett and the first time for the Cougars since November 24, 2019, when Morgan Weaver scored two against West Virginia. Elyse also has scored five goals in five games which matches her total goals scored in her 2019 season.

On the defensive end, Zucchetto, an Ontario native, had three saves to help produce the shutout for the Cougars. For the game, Utah outshot WSU 11-9, while the Cougars held a 5-3 advantage on corner kicks.

The Cougars continue action against the Arizona State Sun Devils (5-0). The Cougars are 10-13 all-time versus the Sun Devils, and they are looking to change the record at 6:00 p.m. Friday in Tempe, Arizona.