Track and field back in action in Spokane

Men’s, women’s squads won several events at two-day Whitworth Invite

BENJAMIN MICHAELIS | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-freshman weight thrower Amy Kraemer competes in the women open weight throw at the WSU Open Indoor Track and Field Meet on Jan. 19, 2019 at the Indoor Practice Facility.

DANIEL SHURR, Evergreen reporter

The WSU outdoor track and field team headed up to Spokane for the Whitworth Invite on Thursday and Friday.

Last weekend, part of the team flew south for the winter and competed against the USC Trojans in the Trojan Invitational. Those that didn’t make the trek to California took a trip to Whitworth University and competed in the Whitworth Essential.

While both parts of the team competed hard and put up great marks, those who attended the Whitworth meet paved the way for WSU to come back and post even better marks this time around.

On Thursday, freshman thrower Carolina Ulloa-Daza set a first-place mark in the hammer throw and set a new WSU freshman record in the event. The record that she broke was her own; the new mark of 59.65 meters by Ulloa-Daza is the second-longest hammer throw in WSU history.

Ulloa-Daza wasn’t the only Cougar woman to put on a show on Boppell Track, as sophomore Skyler Walton set a personal record in the 100m dash in the visit to her hometown. She clocked in at 11.75 seconds, which was fast enough to win the event.

Fellow sophomore Elise Unruh-Thomas claimed first place in her event as well, blazing through the 400-meter dash in just 57.39 seconds.

Pia Richards, a senior from Sammamish, Washington, won the 3000-meter steeplechase in 11:30.69 minutes. Junior Emily Coombs claimed first place in the pole vault at 5.92 meters and redshirt freshman Tayla Beavers was right behind her in second place.

All of the women jumpers for WSU had a remarkable day. Senior Lauren Newman and junior Anna Rodgers recorded the same mark in the long jump at 5.92 meters. Newman was given first place in that event.

Freshman Kaylee Sowle won the high jump competition; she jumped a personal record of 1.76 meters. Sophomores Suzy Pace and Aislinn Overby filled in the second and third place spots jumping 1.73 meters.

Sophomore Jasneet Nijjar set personal records in both the 100-meter hurdles and the long jump event.

Audrey Hughes came in second in the discus throw, setting a personal record with a mark of 43.11 meters.

Freshman pentathlete Peyton Teevens came in second place overall in the Heptathlon, which consists of six events. In the Heptathlon, Teevens set personal records in the 200-meter, long jump and javelin throw.

It was the women’s 4×100-meter relay team that really capped off the women’s events, as Jordyn Tucker, Walton, Nijjar, and Unruh-Thomas clocked in at 46.37 to finish first-place finish in the event.

The men representing WSU mirrored the success of their female teammates and brought home a handful of event wins as well.

The men’s 4x100m relay won their race with sophomores Blake Derringer, De’Antae Choates, senior Ja’Maun Charles and freshman Ethan Willems recorded a time of 41.29 and a first-place finish in the event.

Charles also claimed second overall in the 100m, running it in 10.7 seconds. He also placed in second and set a new personal record in the long jump at seven meters. Derringer was right behind him in the 100m dash, coming in third place and setting a personal record of 10.8 seconds.

Willems claimed second place in the 400m dash with a time of 49.27, while sophomore Ryan Davy set a personal record in the 200m with a third-place finish in 22.68 seconds.

Freshman Adrian Thomas set a personal record in the 110m hurdles with a third-place finish of 15.12 seconds.

Senior Mitch Jacobson high jumped 2.08 meters en route to a first-place spot in the event.

Junior John Kolb threw the discus 52.8 meters, which was far enough to claim first place.

Senior Seth Andres put on quite the performance in the decathlon, completing all ten events and finishing third place overall.

The WSU track and field team will be back in action in Spokane on Friday, April 2 for the H.I.R Invite. Part of the team will also be in Eugene, Oregon for the Hayward Premiere on Friday and Saturday.