Baseball beats Utah Valley to improve win streak

Cougars now will play Pac-12 rival Utah after beating Stanford, Utah Valley in past two games

Senior outfielder Collin Montez smiles as he rounds first against Seattle U.

KURIA POUNDS, Evergreen reporter

WSU baseball won their single game against the Utah Valley Wolverines on Wednesday by a score of 5-3.

The Cougars (14-10, 2-7) look to continue off their win against Utah Valley heading into their three-game series against Utah.

The Wolverines (5-20, 3-9) are heading into a four-game series against Texas-Rio Grande Valley after Wednesday’s loss against the Cougars.

Scoring started early in the top of the first with a two-run single from senior infielder Jack Smith that brought in junior infielder Kyle Manzardo and junior outfielder Jacob McKeon. This gave the Cougars an early 2-0 lead.

A balk from Utah Valley’s sophomore left-handed pitcher Cole Yocum then brought in senior outfielder Collin Montez from third base to give the Cougars a 3-0 lead.

In the bottom of the second, Utah Valley’s freshman utility player Tavyn Lords hit a two-run triple that brought in freshman infielder Kyle Coburn and junior first baseman Pacen Hayes to cut WSU’s lead to 3-2.

Manzardo’s bat stayed hot, connecting on a two-run home run in the top of the sixth, which extended the Cougars’ lead to 5-2.

Wolverines’ junior catcher Drew Sims drove in senior infielder Kade Poulsen for an RBI single that cut WSU’s lead down to 5-3 in the bottom of the eighth.

Wednesday was the first start for freshman right-handed pitcher Duke Brotherton on the mound for the Cougars, only going 1.2 innings pitched, allowing one hit, two earned runs, and gave up three walks in his first appearance.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Tyler Hoeft came in for Brotherton and put on a clinic. Hoeft went 3.1 innings, only allowing one hit, one walk and striking out one. Sophomore left-handed pitcher Ethan Ross struck out the side in his one inning of work as well.

The bullpen for this game seemed to be rejuvenated with Brotherton’s early exit after 1.2 innings, went 6 innings strong without allowing a run.

Apart from the RBIs from Manzardo and Smith, Montez had two hits, one of them being a triple, and a walk.

The Cougars look to expand off their win in a three-game series against the Utah Utes that starts on Friday and goes until Sunday.

First pitch is scheduled for 5 p.m. Friday from Smith’s Ballpark and lineups/starting pitchers for the contest will be announced one hour before game start.

The three-game series can be listened to on the WSU Athletics website and the live statistics can be followed on StatBroadcast.