Track and field wins out in both weekend meets

Cougars participated in the Bigfoot Multis, Sam Adams Classic

ZACH RUBIO | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Track and field’s next meet will be against the Huskies in the UW-WSU Dual Meet on Wednesday.

DANIEL SHURR, Evergreen reporter

The WSU track and field team had a successful weekend at two different meets, as part of the team was sent to Spokane Falls Community College to compete in the Bigfoot Multis and the rest of the team took yet another trip to Whitworth University for the Sam Adams Classic.

WSU sent three athletes to the Bigfoot Multi-event: senior Seth Andres, sophomore Cody Teevens and freshman Peyton Teevens.

Peyton Teevens participated in the women’s heptathlon, which consisted of 100-meter hurdles, high jump, shot put, 200-meter dash, long jump, javelin throw, and the 800-meter.

Peyton Teevens finished top three in all six events, including first-place finishes in the 800-meter, high jump and 100-meter hurdles. The consistent top finishes in every event earned Teevens a total of 4821 points and a first-place finish in the women’s heptathlon. The win is her first heptathlon win of her collegiate career.

Her older brother, sophomore Cody Teevens, performed exceptionally well in the men’s decathlon, which consisted of 10 events as opposed to the heptathlon’s six.

The men’s decathlon featured the 100-meter dash, long jump, shot put, high jump, 400-meter race, 110-meter hurdles, Disc throw, pole vault, Javelin and 1500-meter.

Cody Teevens earned himself a first-place finish in the men’s decathlon. He did so by winning the high jump and 110-meter hurdles, along with consistent top-five finishes across the board.

Andres performed well too, placing third overall in the men’s decathlon.

The rest of the team competed in the Sam Adams classic, back on Boppel Track at Whitworth, and they too found similar success.

Senior Lauren Newman headlined the weekend for WSU at Whitworth, taking home first place in the women’s long jump with a mark of 5.89 meters. Fellow Jumper, freshman Giovanna Rhoads, took home first place in high jump, leaping 1.61 meters.

Sophomore Skyler Walton ran the women’s 100-meter in 11.8 seconds en route to a first-place finish. Sophomore Elise Unruh-Thomas capped off the 200-meter race with a first-place finish as well.

Freshman Samantha Boyle ran a personal best in the women’s 5000-meter, with a time of 18:16.98 and a first-place finish.

WSU’s men’s team saw a handful of first-place finishes as well.

Senior RayRay Wells Jr. ran a blazing time in the men’s 100m dash, taking home first place at 10.34 seconds. Senior Ja’Maun Charles was right behind him with a second-place finish and PR of 10.4 seconds.

Senior Nick Johnson bested everyone else in the 110-meter hurdles and recorded a first-place time of 14.14, while freshman Jared McAlvey set a personal record in the 200-meter race at 21.57.

Sophomore Daylon Hicks led the way for the men’s jumpers with a mark of 2.03 meters in high jump — high enough to take first place in the event.

Junior John Kolb threw the discus 52.01 meters to claim first place in that event.

The men’s 4×100-meter relay capped off the day for WSU, with an outstanding first-place finish in their event. They recorded a time of 40.65 seconds.

It was another great weekend for WSU track and field, and they look to repeat this success as they take on the University of Washington in Seattle on Wednesday.