WSU competes against Huskies at The Dual

Track takes numerous top podium spots, not enough to edge out Huskies in team scores

ABIGAIL LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

WSU alum Katelyn Frost competes in the pole vault as she launches herself over her mark.

NICK OLDHAM, Evergreen sports editor

The WSU outdoor track and field team competed at The Dual against the Washington Huskies on Wednesday in Seattle.

The Cougars were able to seal wins in numerous events throughout the day. In the end, it was the Huskies who were able to secure more points in both the men’s and women’s total team scores. Washington won the men’s event by a final score of 86-77, while the women’s team defeated the Cougars 95-68.

The Cougar men got off to a hot start at Husky Outdoor Track by winning the first three events. Senior Ja’Maun Charles was able to take the top of the podium in both the 100-meter and 200-meter finals, while freshman Ethan Willems took home the 800-meter.

WSU dropped the 1500-meter and 3000-meter finals after their good start, but senior Sam Brixey got the Cougars back in rhythm with a first-place finish in the 110-meter hurdles.

The next Cougar victory came in the 3000-meter steeplechase, as junior Colton Johnsen finished with a time of 8:43.43.

The Cougars dominated in both relay races with first-place finishes in both the 4×100 and 4×400. The high jump was all WSU as well, with the top 6 jumps all being Cougars.

The last two victories for the men’s team came from Brixey with a long jump of 7.21 meters, and from freshman Gabe Shouman with a javelin throw of 64.51 meters.

The women’s team did not start as hot, with the Cougars dropping their first six events before getting a first-place finish from sophomore Charisma Taylor in the 100-meter hurdles.

The Cougars then begin to hit a bit of a groove after gaining wins in the 300-meter steeplechase, 4×400 relay and high jump. The women’s team was just as dominant as the men in the high jump, with all three podium spots being filled by Cougars.

The next two events went in WSU’s favor when junior Emily Coombs and senior Lauren Newman won the pole vault and long jump finals, respectively.

The final win on the day for WSU came in the hammer throw. Freshman Carolina Ulloa-Daza, who has already broken school records in just her first season, continued to turn heads after her throw of 59.51 meters, which was eight meters farther than the next closest throw.

The outdoor team will now get set for the Oregon Relays hosted by the Oregon Ducks. The event will start Friday and conclude Saturday at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon. The meet schedule can be found on the Oregon Relays tentative schedule.

More statistics and event times from The Dual can be found on the WSU Athletics website or on the Track and Field Results Reporting System.