Grad letter: ‘This paper has been a safe haven, a home away from home’

Deputy photo editor found community in the Daily Evergreen while enjoying her job

COURTESY OF OLIVIA WOLF

Deputy photo editor Olivia Wolf found a second family in The Daily Evergreen.

OLIVIA WOLF, Photojournalist

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. As I graduate in a little over a week, my time at The Daily Evergreen will come to a close.

When I first came to WSU, I was incredibly shy, quiet, and I did not get out much. At the risk of sounding cliché, I was a small fish in a big pond. While I relatively enjoyed my first year here, needless to say, I kept my head down and went about my business.

Cut to the summer before sophomore year, I found out there was a job opening for a photographer for The Daily Evergreen. Not only could I use the extra money, but I was also very passionate about photography, so I jumped at the chance and applied right away.

Getting hired on at the paper was definitely a change of pace compared to my freshman year. My job as a photographer required me to take pictures for interview, town events, and sports, which was really fun for me. However, the part that threw me for a loop was having to go up to strangers and asking for their name so that I could write captions. That definitely took me out of my comfort zone.

That first semester, being in the newsroom also made me feel uncomfortable. At this point I was still very shy and reserved, and I was, to be completely frank, afraid of the editors. Though it probably was not their intention, they were intimidating to little ole’ me.

As time went on, I made some friends on the photography staff, and even became pretty good friends with my bosses. I started to come out of my shell, and by junior year, I was deputy photo editor. Being in that position put me in the newsroom all the time. That whirlwind semester, I met some of the most incredible people I have ever met. I made friendships that will last forever. They became my family.

Now I am in my third year at the paper, and this is my third semester being a deputy photo editor. As much as I love this job, recently I have found myself not wanting to edit on the nights I work, because I know that each night I edit, I am one night closer to leaving.

The Daily Evergreen has given me memories that will last a lifetime. It is a beautiful thing to look back on my journey from the scared little freshman to where I am today. I have grown so much in these three years, including my confidence and my photography skills. This paper has been a safe haven, a home away from home.

As I say goodbye to The Daily Evergreen, it feels like I am saying goodbye to a little piece of me. This newspaper, and the people who work here, have become my family. As Winnie the Pooh once said, “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

I am so grateful to The Daily Evergreen for helping shape me into the person I am today, and I will never forget all the good times I experienced here. Here’s to the future.