Grad letter: ‘I’m proud to be graduating an Evergreener’

Managing editor joined Evergreen during break from marching band

WSU+senior+Alana+Lackner+started+working+for+The+Daily+Evergreen+after+attending+the+newspaper%E2%80%99s+open+house+event.+

COURTESY OF ALANA LACKNER

WSU senior Alana Lackner started working for The Daily Evergreen after attending the newspaper’s open house event.

ALANA LACKNER, Evergreen managing editor

Spring semester of my freshman year was rough.

I was living in a dorm with a roommate I didn’t get along with, going to classes I didn’t like and spending all of my free time watching TV I didn’t care about. I was depressed, anxious and lonely. In the fall, I had been in the Cougar Marching Band, which had occupied most of my time. 

Of course, spring meant no football, which meant no marching band. I had more time than I knew what to do with and I absolutely hated it. Plus, all of the friends I had made were from marching band, so now I never saw any of them.

At the same time, I was in my second semester in the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication, trying to finish up the requirements so that I could certify into my journalism major. I was having a crisis because I had never even done any journalism, and I had no idea if I would like it.

It was the middle of March, already halfway through the semester, and I had promised myself I was going to get out of my shell, even though it felt futile in the face of my anxiety. As fate would have it, as I was making this promise to myself, I passed a sign that loudly proclaimed “DAILY EVERGREEN OPEN HOUSE.”

It seemed meant to be. It was a chance for me to try journalism, and a chance for me to get out of my room and, subsequently, out of my head. That didn’t stop the anxiety from screaming as I walked in, met a few people, took an application and left.

It also didn’t stop the anxiety when I turned that application in, got called in for an interview and then was offered a job as a columnist, or after that when I applied for copy editor and then another editor position and another and another after that.

What did stop, though, was the loneliness and the fear that I wouldn’t like journalism. I found that I actually did really like journalism, and I found many friends who I don’t think I could’ve survived 2020 without.

I’m still anxious. Graduating, finding a job, a place to live — it’s all stressful. But I know now that it’s nothing I can’t handle. Sometimes things are stressful and they make me anxious, and they end up being one of the best decisions I ever made.

I’m going to miss The Evergreen and everyone here, but I couldn’t be more grateful to have had this experience. I’m proud to be graduating an Evergreener.