ASWSU VP Pan presents tuition increase transparency plan

Undocumented at WSU Center opens Oct. 14; Safety, Health, Security Fair is next week

SAM GRUVER

ASWSU Vice President presented a resolution regarding tuition increases during the ASWSU Senate meeting Wednesday night in the Compton Union Building.

MOLLY WILK, Evergreen reporter

ASWSU Vice President Alexander Pan presented to the Senate a resolution that would allow students to see expected tuition increases over their four years at WSU. 

The idea was inspired by work other universities have already done, Pan said. It is meant to keep students from receiving unexpected increases due to inflation. 

The Undocumented at WSU Center will officially open Oct. 14. The center will host an event from 5-7 p.m. on the fourth floor of the Compton Union Building, said All-Campus Senator Mayra Angel.

Volunteers are still needed for the event. There will be food and posters for sale, she said. 

The Safety, Health, and Security Fair is scheduled for next week, said Director of Health Conner Rath.

Different presenters will be on campus between 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. throughout the week. Vendors will be set up from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Oct. 19 in the CUB Senior Ballroom, he said. 

Rath previously worked to make masks accessible in most buildings on campus. He said he is now hoping to work toward supplying buildings with reusable alternatives. 

Fatimah Albaqshi, director of Community Affairs, said Restaurant Week is Nov. 1-5. 

Albaqshi said she has been working with the 2040 Pullman committees to create initiatives the city hopes to see in place by 2040. 

The Pacific Islanders Club will be hosting its cultural exhibition at 6 p.m. Friday in the CUB Senior Ballroom, said ASWSU Adviser Phillip Sinapati. 

Tickets will be available at the door for $20 and will include food and entertainment, he said.

Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanx de Aztlán will host Día de la Familia 12-3 p.m. Sunday on the fourth floor of the CUB, Sinapati said. Food and events will be available for guests. 

ASWSU President Brian Patrick said he asked students what they wish they could change about WSU while handing out peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the CUB.

Many students said they wish the bus routes from off-campus housing to campus were more efficient and stopped at other places than Beasley Coliseum. Patrick said this is a change he hopes to work on in the future.