Swim takes home historic win

WSU earns first-ever victory against Arizona

FRANKIE BEER

The WSU swim team celebrates their victory over Arizona on Oct. 15.

KAT MCKINNEY-ROLEY, Evergreen reporter

The WSU swim team swam against both Arizona and Arizona State this past weekend, making history on Friday when they beat the Wildcats for the first time in program history.

The women made history on Friday, beating the Wildcats for the first time in program history. The final score was 131.5-129.5 in favor of the Cougs. 

WSU won seven individual events, seeing impressive swims from senior Taylor McCoy, who won the 200-meter backstrokes and 200-meter individual medley. 

Pac-12 champion Chloe Larson won the 50-meter freestyle while freshman Angela Di Palo won the 100-meter freestyle. Senior Lauren Burckel won the 100-meter breaststroke.

Freshman Noelle Harvey had an impressive first career meet and won the 1000-meter freestyle. 

The Cougs trailed a little bit going into the 200-breaststroke event. The Cougs took all three top spots in the event. Senior Mackenzie Duarte won the race. Harvey also finished second in the 500-meter freestyle. Her teammates in the 200-meter individual medley also swept the race, which gave WSU the momentum it needed to have the final push to win the race. 

WSU had their top 400-meter medley relay finish second to get the Cougs the first victory over Arizona in program history. 

On Saturday, the Cougs took on No. 22 Arizona State. 

Although history was made the night before, the Cougs were unsuccessful in their attempt to defeat the ranked Sun Devils.

The Cougs won four straight events, and McCoy led the team with 17 points. 

WSU fought hard to win the meet, with several second and third place wins from Burckel and Duarte. McCoy finished second in the 100-meter backstroke. Freshman Ilaria Moro placed third in the 200-meter butterfly.

Larson kicked off a four-event winning streak with her winning the 50-meter freestyle. Di Palo also won the 100-meter freestyle. McCoy won the 200-meter backstroke, and Duarte won the 200-meter breaststroke. 

Harvey also scored four points for the Cougs with a second-place finish in the 500-meter freestyle. McCoy placed second in the 400-meter individual medley. Larson, Di Palo, sophomore Hailey Grotte and senior Paige Gardner won the 200-meter freestyle relay with a very impressive swim.

WSU has continued to improve every season under the coaching of head coach Matt Leach.

The swim team travels to Los Angeles for meets against USC at 2 p.m. Oct. 29 and against UCLA at 11 a.m Oct. 30.