Student Financial Services to host FAFSA workshops

Students should register, schedule personal appointment ahead of time so they can be prepared

ZACHARY NEWSOM

FAFSA workshops are available to students on all WSU campuses, including the global campus.

ABBY SONNICHSEN, Evergreen Photographer

WSU Student Financial Services is hosting Zoom workshops from 5-6:30 p.m. Nov. 3 and 10-11:30 a.m. Nov. 23 to help students complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

The application is currently open, and the priority deadline to complete it is Nov. 30 for current WSU students. 

The workshops are resources for students to ask questions and get help completing the application, according to the SFS website. Students should register or schedule a personal appointment ahead of time so they can be prepared.

Maja Gillespie, assistant director of SFS outreach program, said advisers will answer any questions students may have about their applications during the FAFSA workshops. They will also give a short presentation to help clear up any confusion about the process. 

The workshops are available to students on all WSU campuses, including the global campus. The goal is to help clear up some of the misconceptions about financial aid, Gillespie said. 

“I think there’s always that stigma [that] ‘I’m not going to qualify for anything,’” Gillespie said. “Financial aid isn’t just free money — it’s different loans, it’s work-study, it’s a variety of different things.”

Johnpaul Mckeirnan, sophomore sports management major, said he finds the FAFSA helpful when applying for financial aid. 

“As a student, it helps me pay for college. It helps me buy books, helps me pay for my housing and helps me pay for my RDA,” Mckeirnan said.