InQueery Symposium focusing on queer, feminist abolition

Annual event starts at 4 p.m., keynote speaker presenting in addition to student panels

COURTESY OF NISHANT SHAHANI

Emily S. Thuma is set to be the keynote speaker for this year’s InQueery Symposium on Nov. 16.

SANDI KOBIESA, Multimedia editor

The annual InQueery Symposium, this year focusing on queer and feminist abolition, is taking place today over Zoom.

“The goal is to highlight queer and feminist scholarship on our campuses and create an intellectual space for interdisciplinary conversations that center issues around gender, race and sexuality,” said Nishant Shahani, interim director of WSU Women’s, Gender, and Sexual Studies.

WGSS, along with the Gender Identity/Expression Resource Center, co-sponsors the event, Shahani said. Themes for past InQueery symposiums include queer politics and disability, trans politics, and queer of color critique.

Keynote speaker Emily S. Thuma is presenting on “The Queer Politics of Feminist Abolition,” according to the InQueery websiteThuma is an adjunct professor of Gender, Women’s, and Sexual Studies at the University of Washington, as well as an assistant professor of politics and law. She is also the author of “All Our Trials: Prisons, Policing, and the Feminist Fight to End Violence.”

Alongside Thuma’s presentation, there will be three concurrent student panels. 

InQueery starts at 4 p.m. Those who want to attend can register beforehand. Thuma’s presentation begins at 6 p.m.