Campus organizations plan International Women’s Day events

Women*s Center, other organizations host events throughout week; events celebrate women’s history

COURTESY OF ASSOCIATION OF PACIFIC AND ASIAN WOMEN

The Association of Pacific and Asian Women celebrate at a past International Women’s Day event.

PUNEET BSANTI, Deputy news editor

The Women*s Center is hosting a week-long event for International Women’s Day from March 8-11 alongside several other campus organizations.

International Women’s Day is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women, according to the Women*s Center website. This day has been celebrated for over a century. This year’s campaign theme is #BreakTheBias. 

International Women*s Day Celebration – March 8 and 9

The Women*s Center, along with several organizations who are part of the Coalition for Women Students, like the Association of Pacific and Asian Women and PERIOD, will table on the ground floor of the Compton Union Building, according to the website.

Those who come by will be able to learn about the significance of International Women’s Day by interacting with multiple tables set up with different activities, celebrations and commemorations. Some activities include a photo booth and giveaway, where winners can win Silverwood Theme Park tickets, according to the website. 

“I really, really encourage folks to come down and hang out with us,” said Jackie Sedano, Women*s Center program coordinator.

Tabling will take place from 10:30 a.m.-3 p.m. on both days.

International Women*s Week Tours – March 8 and 9

The Women*s Center is hosting a tour of “Mirror, Mirror: The Prints of Alison Saar.” The tour will be hosted by Education Coordinator Kristin Becker, according to the Women*s Center website. Saar’s sculptures and printmaking will fit the #BreakTheBias theme. This tour is free and open to the public and will be hosted from 1-1:30 p.m at the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art.

Mirror, Mirror: The Prints of Alison Saar Reflection Night – March 10 

The Women*s Center invites students, faculty, staff and community members to join them in a discussion about Saar’s exhibit at the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art. Saar is known for narrating stories of African American experiences through sculptures and printmaking, according to the art museum’s website

“Folks who have been impacted [by Saar’s work] can talk about it,” Sedano said.

Those interested in speaking to the group for five minutes about their experience with the exhibit can RSVP and email [email protected]. However, anyone can attend and join the discussion informally without an RSVP, according to the website.

The event will be from 4-5 p.m. and refreshments will be served, she said. 

Coffee Hour: Work-Family Balance – March 11

In partnership with GPSA and the Office of International Programs, the Women*s Center is hosting a coffee hour focusing on international students navigating work-life balance, according to the Women*s Center website. The first half-hour of the event will be listening to a panel of people who are navigating family-work-life balance and experiences.

The second half-hour will be to decompress through painting, drawing, poetry and other art forms. The Office of International Programs said childcare will be available for children ages 2-12-year-olds.

For questions about the event, contact GPSA Vice President Marwa Aly at [email protected]. Coffee Hour will be from 3-4 p.m. at Butch’s Den in the CUB.