College of Veterinary Medicine to host open house, teddy bear surgery

Visitors should park in Green 1 lot, follow signs to large animal breezeway of VTH

COURTESY OF HENRY MOORE, JR.

Third-year veterinary students will provide suture materials and instruments and show visitors how to administer sutures for the teddy bear surgery clinic.

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen news editor

The WSU College of Veterinary Medicine is hosting an open house from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, giving community members the opportunity to practice surgery on stuffed animals, see an anatomically-painted cow and more.

WSU’s chapter of the Student American Veterinary Medical Association is hosting the event for the first time since the start of the pandemic. The goal is to spread awareness about the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, said Emma Potter, first-year veterinary student and Washington State Veterinary Medical Association representative. 

Third-year veterinary students will provide suture materials and instruments and show visitors how to administer sutures for the teddy bear surgery clinic, Potter said.

There will be about 20 student groups providing information about raptors, agricultural animals, wildlife and more. There is something for everyone, she said.

The Royal Canin Canine Canter 5K — a human and pet race — begins at 8:30 a.m. Registration is $20, and all proceeds will go to the Whitman County Humane Society, according to the event website.

Visitors should plan to park in the Green 1 lot off of Grimes Way and in front of Bustad Hall. Signs will point inside to the large animal breezeway of the VTH, Potter said.