Rowing CRCA and Swimming CSCAA Scholar athletes announced

Twelve WSU rowers, five swimmers earn Academic Honors

PAIGE CAMPBELL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

WSU women’s rowing competed in the NCAA Championships, where each of three units secured a top 15 finish.

JAKE HULL, Evergreen reporter

Whether they are on the water or in the water, these WSU athletes are also incredible students.

The 2022 National Scholar Athletics awards have been announced for the WSU swimming and rowing program. On the rowing side, 12 athletes have earned the honor while WSU swimming earned their College Swimming and Diving Coaches Association of America honor after posting a 3.58 GPA during the spring semester.

The rowing CRCA awards are given out to eligible student-athletes who maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher. The athletes must also be in their second, third or fourth eligibility year and have rowed for 75% of spring races.

The 12 rowers who earned the award for the 2022 season are: Emma Barrett, Gabby Hannen, Meg Montgomery, Samantha Schmidt, Caitlin Donaldson, Cate Field, Ella Greenslade, Maddy Pollard, Audrey Gulig, Ilaria Macchi, Ainsley Tiernan and Sydney Wick. Barrett is a fifth-year senior, and this selection makes it her third CRCA Scholar-Athlete award. She graduated this spring with a cumulative GPA of 3.68.

Donaldson earns her second-straight Scholar-Athlete  honor with a 3.79 GPA. Along with Donaldson, three other Coug rowers earned the CRCA Scholar Athlete honor for a second-straight year: Schmidt, Field and Pollard. Pollard and Schmidt are both majoring in kinesiology and both have a cumulative 4.0 GPA.

For Hannen, Montgomery, Greenslade, Gulig, Macchi, Tiernan and Wick, all earned their first CRCA National Scholar-Athlete recognition.

Gulig, Macchi, Tiernan, and Wick were all sophomores, Hannen and Montgomery were seniors, and Greenslade was a junior for the 2022 spring semester. Greenslade has a cumulative GPA of 3.87 and Montgomery has a 3.93 GPA.

WSU Women’s swimming earned their 12th straight semester of earning the CSCAA Scholar All-America Team accolade after the team posted a cumulative 3.58 GPA. Head coach Matt Leach and his swim team have earned the accolades every semester he has coached the Cougs thus far.

To earn the CSCAA Scholar All-America Team accolade the athletes for the school must have a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher to be eligible.

In 2022 the WSU swim team had eight 4.0 GPA athletes and 19 athletes with a 3.0 GPA or higher. The cumulative GPA of 3.58 for Cougar swimming was good for third in the Pac-12 for the 2022 season.

On Wednesday, the College Swimming and Diving Coaches Association of America announced their academic honors. Five Cougar swimmers qualified for either the first or second team.

Chloe Larson made the first team. Lauren Burckel, Noelle Harvey, Taylor McCoy and Sophie Macy each were named to the second team. Five CSCAA Scholar All-America selections is a WSU program record.