ATV accidents over holiday weekend cause one fatality, injuries

Adult male was pronounced dead near Colfax; another adult male flown to hospital with non-life threatening injuries

DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

The court found the “special relationship” between the univeristy and its students does not extend to off-campus activities

FRANKIE BEER, Evergreen news editor

Over the Fourth of July weekend, the Whitman County Sheriff’s Office responded to two ATV accidents, one of which was fatal.

One adult male was pronounced dead on July 2 near Colfax after quickly riding over a berm of dirt, causing his Honda 3-wheeler to become airborne, according to a Whitman County Sheriff’s Office press release. The rider, who was not wearing a helmet, was thrown from the vehicle. 

WHITCOM 911 initially took a report of an “unknown injury” at around 7:09 p.m. near McNeilly Road and Milepost 1, according to the press release. The rider was pronounced dead at the accident scene. 

The Sheriff’s Office and the Whitman County Coroner’s Office are investigating the accident, according to the press release. 

The following day, the Sheriff’s Office responded to another ATV accident near the top of Tekoa Mountain. The adult male rider sustained non-life threatening injuries, according to a Sheriff’s Office press release

The injured rider called a family member to alert them of his location near Milepost 54 on Washington State Route 27, according to the press release. The family member was in a residence area 1.50 miles away from the accident scene.  

Deputies and Tekoa and Rosalia Emergency Medical Services later arrived at the scene, according to the press release. After rescue personnel moved the rider to a landing zone, Life Flight Network arrived and transported him to a hospital.