Three WSU golfers receive All-American Scholar Honors

Chu, Habgood, Cadwell earn WGCA Honors for academic success

Sophomore+Darcy+Habgood+said+she+is+looking+forward+to+building+off+how+she+finished+in+Coeur+d%E2%80%99Alene%2C+Idaho.+

COURTESY OF WSU ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS

Sophomore Darcy Habgood said she is looking forward to building off how she finished in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.

DAYLON HICKS, Evergreen reporter

The success the WSU women’s golf team accomplished on the grass carries over into the classroom as seniors Amy Chu, Darcy Habgood and freshman Emily Cadwell were recognized by the Women’s Golf Coaches Association for their academic diligence.

This accomplishment is significant as only 1,485 women in NCAA were recognized for this award. This award is a difficult goal to achieve as the minimum requirement to be considered for this award requires a 3.5 GPA. For Chu, this is her fourth year in a row earning a WGCA All-American Scholar selection. She earned the honor in 2019, 2020 and 2021 with a marketing major and finishing the year off with a 3.77 cumulative GPA. She also served as a team representative to the WSU Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.

In May, she received recognition by WSU as she was recognized for the Senior Excellence in Academics Award. Those eligible for this award must be seniors who have earned a minimum of 90 credits with at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA, been members of the WSU Athletics All-Academic Team each semester, enrolled at WSU for at least two years and excelled in their degree program and sport.

In the 2021-22 season, Chu competed in six tournaments with her best finish at the Golfweek Red Sky Classic, where she finished tied for sixth after carding 2-under 144 in the 36-hole tournament. She shot 3-under 69 in the third round of the Fresno State Classic which was a season-best for her.

For Habgood, this is her first selection as a WGCA All-American Scholar honoree. She is a public relations major and finished the year off on a strong note with a cumulative 3.68 GPA. Similar to Chu, she also received recognition from WSU. In April, she earned WSU Team MVP Awards in the Cougar Sports Awards.

The Nambucca Heads, Australia native competed in all nine tournaments for WSU in the 2021-22 season where she had four top-25 finishes and one top-10 finish. Her best finish of the season was at the 2022 Pac-12 Women’s Golf Championships, where she tied for ninth overall.

This is also the first WGCA All-American Scholar selection for Cadwell who was a freshman when receiving the award. She is a business marketing major and currently holds a cumulative 3.64 GPA

The sport of golf runs in the family as her father played golf at University of Puget Sound. In high school, she was an acclaimed student being a member of the National Honors Society. Hailing from Boise, Idaho, she appeared in six tournaments in her collegiate season debut for WSU. Her best finish of the season took place at the Badger Invitational where she tied for 14th after carding a career-best 221 (+5).

It is an exciting time for WSU golf as in May 2023, they will host the NCAA West Regionals at the Palouse Ridge Golf Course, according to the NCAA.