Wazzu Weekly: July 22, 2022

WSU Athletics focuses on NIL with new position, MLB All-Stars shine bright

Today the WSU swimming team will compete in the Hawkeye Invitational in Iowa City, Iowa.

Hello and welcome to the Wazzu Weekly roundup of Washington state sports news and more.

WSU is searching for another professional to help student-athletes’ name, image and likeness efforts and the MLB All-Star week in Los Angeles was a thrilling exhibition of the game’s brightest, particularly Seattle Mariners rookie sensation Julio Rodriguez.

WSU to hire a Director of Student-Athlete Innovation 

This position would help WSU student-athletes identify and navigate NIL opportunities.

WSU Swimming announces 2022-23 schedule

WSU Swimming will open the season on Sept. 30 in Pullman.

Cougar student-athletes join Conference Honor Roll  

Seventy-one student-athletes were named to the Pac-12 Conference Honor Roll

Was the Home Run Derby Unfair?

Rodriguez hit more home runs in a single home run derby than every other participant except for Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (91 in 2019). Despite losing the Home Run Derby to Juan Soto (who only hit 53 home runs but benefited from going last in each round), JRod has gained national prominence.

MLB Draft sparks pro-ball opportunity for over 600 players 

The MLB Draft saw 40 players selected from the Pac-12 but none were Cougs.

Stars shine in Hollywood at MLB All-Star Week

The All-Star week was a lot of fun in the L.A. sun. Here is a rundown of all the sights and sounds from baseball’s brightest stage. 

Basketball

Two Cougs set sights on return to NBA

Former Cougs, Aron Baynes and Robert Franks seek to return to the NBA. Baynes tried out for teams last week and Franks competed on Boston Celtics Summer League roster.

Hockey

Shane Wright headed to Seattle Kraken

Shane Wright, arguably the best player in the 2022 NHL draft fell right into the Kraken’s lap at No. 4 overall.

Other News

Klay Thompson, legendary NBA champion and WSU alumn won the ESPY for the 2022 Best Comeback Athlete.

In case you needed another reason to love Klay!

The WSU-Idaho basketball rivalry will not be played in 2022-23. WSU vs. Idaho is the longest-running college basketball rivalry, played each year since 1906.

Ike Ukaegbu, Deputy director of WSU Athletics; cornerback, Chris Jackson and cross country runner Anna Rodgers, visited civil rights landmarks in Selma and Montgomery, Ala. alongside other members of the Pac-12.

WSU football hired a new director of recruiting and a creative video producer.

Former Coug Kyle Manzardo was named the Minor League Baseball South Atlantic League Player of the Week on July 11. 

WSU alum Albert Hall founded the NBA Summer League, a setting similar to MLB’s spring training that provides players young and old the chance to play their way onto NBA rosters

Tara Wallack, WSU women’s basketball player competed in Canada’s U-23 National Team for the FIBA Global Jam Tournament in Toronto.

Incoming Coug Astera Tuhina was named to the All-Star Five at the FIBA European Championships for small countries.

That is all for this week. Thank you for reading and Go Cougs!