WSU soccer electric out the gate

Game ended after lightning during halftime

WSU Athletics

Freshman forward Lily Boyden passes the ball in a NCAA College soccer exhibition match on Aug. 11 2022 at the Lower Soccer Field in Pullman, Washington.

JAKE HULL, Evergreen reporter

WSU soccer had an electric start to the season with their exhibition match being canceled halfway through due to lightning. 

This was their first exhibition game of the season Thursday in Pullman against the Gonzaga Bulldogs.

The game’s outcome did not affect either team’s 2022 season record. 

WSU played strong during the first half of the game where they were constantly on the attack and created chance after chance.

WSU got to a 3-0 lead in the first half before Gonzaga scored to make it 3-1 at half time.

The weather was not kind to Pullman Thursday, with scattered showers and thunderstorms throughout most of the first half until half time when there was lightning that delayed and ultimately canceled the game. 

Senior Grayson Lynch and Junior Margie Detrizio were at the forefront in the first half for WSU. Lynch created some chances and grabbed a goal in the game.

Defender Mykiaa Minniss looks strong and poised for a dominant season on the defensive end.

Midfielder Mackenzie Frimpong-Ellertson looks to provide attacking aid and score goals this season. Frimpong-Ellertson is from Vancouver, Washington and played high school soccer at King’s Way Academy. 

Of the fans that showed up at the exhibition game, a few were there for the first time. 

“It was so much fun to watch the first half of a soccer game, I loved every second of it and I can’t wait to see how the team does the rest of the season,” said WSU student Sydney Means.

Another student said they had so much fun at their first college sporting event. 

With the game being canceled due to the weather fans only got to see one half of soccer, but that one half produced three goals for the Cougs, showing glimpses of being the 19th-ranked team in the nation.